Is it safe

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SUE482
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Is it safe

Post by SUE482 »

Just a thought, we all glibly post photos of our pride and joys on here, is it safe to show the registration number if the location can be found. I only ask as in the past I have received unsolicited letters asking if I would like to sell the reg number, now how did they know my address. :-?
Should be ready for tea time.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Is it safe

Post by bmcecosse »

Most likely if they saw the car at your house! DVLA are very slow to release data like that - unless of course you are a car clamper and then they seem to dish it out easily.... All anyone would get from this site is whatever you put up in your profile...
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Some companies pass on personal details to other parties (it's usually written very small in their terms & conditions) so this can lead to unsolicited contact from other, unconnected, companies. This might have happened in your case.

With regards to this site, we have had occasions when owners have posted up their full address or postcode - potentially letting everyone know where their Minor is parked - so we will edit these posts when we spot them.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I got an unsolicited letter from a company wanting to buy my reg no shortly after having number plates made up..............funny that!

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

did you use an online reg plate company?
some of these have a poor reputation (e.g. avoiding the rules) which often gives a bad name to all, despite the fact that there are a handful of really good plate companies that sell online.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I think if you have so called ,"good reason" :roll: you can buy the details from big brother DVLA .
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
SUE482
Minor Fan

Post by SUE482 »

Its been off the road and out of site for decades, see my restoration project, the only thing I have done is to notify the DVLA of my address change and photos on a couple of sites showing the reg number. Puzzling. :-?
Should be ready for tea time.
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

You should be careful if you take pictures with a smartphone (Iphone HTC etc) they can record the GPS coordinates of the picture with the photo giving it's exact location
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

If you live in the bristol triangle* i.e. anywhere between Gloucester, Southampton and Exeter then your biggest concern should be fitting a hidden / clever immobilisation device. They aren't always stolen from their owners house (e.g. sometimes disappear when visiting friends/relatives etc..) so it may be someone driving round 'fishing' the area (or if they did know the car's home address & they were very clever!)

*The Bristol triangle - a bit like like the Bermuda triangle but accounts for a LOT of Minor disappearances rather than boats.
The cars that disappear in that area are usually high quality and unlikely to be seen again.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don't know why it is but people do like to let the world know their business, face book etc being an example, so it's not surprising to see reg numbers posted and even chassis and body info. Even stranger touting stuff in the street are given bank account details by some folk, they need a minder 24/7! We had a spate on this forum a while back of posters listing all their ailments, almost like reading their medical records. Cut crime, Keep your life private.