Stolen Morris 1000 Trafalgar Blue KRU 805F Putney London

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lornacap
MMOC Member: No

Stolen Morris 1000 Trafalgar Blue KRU 805F Putney London

Post by lornacap »

Trafalgar Blue Morris 1000 4 door saloon KRU 805F stolen from Putney SW15 in the last 24 hours.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Stolen Morris 1000 Trafalgar Blue KRU 805F Putney London

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Sorry to hear this, post up some pictures, if you have any.
Good luck with recovering it.
As for the low life scum-bags who perpetrate these crimes, I hope they're recovered, face down, from the pond they crawled out from.........
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
lornacap

Post by lornacap »

As requested, picture of the missing car...[frame]Image[/frame]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

pm chassis number please.

Did you record the body/engine/gearbox & rear axle numbers?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Im really fed up of all these minors being stolen.... this is a nightmare, also putting people of buying them as spoke to a few peopke recently and said they wanted a minor but having second thoughts with the idea of them being stolen a lot and they seem to be a target at the minute.....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It's a shame someone can't identify the market these thefts are feeding (if they were being shipped abroad for example) and cut it off............
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

[quote][It's a shame someone can't identify the market these thefts are feeding (if they were being shipped abroad for example) and cut it off............/quote]

How sure are we that we aren't that market when we buy bits off ebay or at shows?

Mark
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

No way of telling if the car has been broken for spares really.

More useful to look at cars that have been recovered.

I had a car nicked some time ago and the advice I got from the police was to look locally, I found my car less than a mile away from where it had been taken, so well worth cycling around with you eyes open.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

How sure are we that we aren't that market when we buy bits off ebay or at shows?
Now that is a scary thought!
But how would we know??
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Mark Wilson wrote:
[It's a shame someone can't identify the market these thefts are feeding (if they were being shipped abroad for example) and cut it off............/quote]

Mark
Exactly.

Where do all the spares come from on some of these Classic Car stalls?

"Yes, mate, this set of immaculate rust-free fnt wings came off a scrapper!"

The details of STOLEN Minor's are added to my normal database, so will be picked up if that vehicle
turns up with a different id.

Be alert - your country needs lerts.
tomti
Minor Friendly

Post by tomti »

POMMReg wrote:pm chassis number please.

Did you record the body/engine/gearbox & rear axle numbers?
Very sorry to hear this - I wonder if this is the one I used to see about when I lived in Clapham?

With regard to the above - is there a useful link on this site (or elsewhere) detailing where all the above numbers are situated on the various models?

-Tom
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Number locations are usually illustrated within the first few pages of Minor Workshop manuals & Service parts lists.

Would someone please post this page on here?

Hm.Mkt LCVs after Civilian 216950/GPO 216550 will be on n/s cab dr card.

Most Saloon,Traveller & Convertable models after 1965 will have their chassis numbers stamped into their o/s footwell.
tomti
Minor Friendly

Post by tomti »

POMMReg wrote:Number locations are usually illustrated within the first few pages of Minor Workshop manuals & Service parts lists.

Would someone please post this page on here?
There's a copy of the 5th edition of the WM here ...

[link removed]

EDIT : OK - sorry about that. I took the page author's word for it that the copyright issue was covered. Just Google 'morris minor workshop manual' and it's the first link that comes up.

I can't see any indication of number locations within the 'General Data' section at the beginning - does anyone know roughly where in this manual the relevant information lives? Perhaps we could upload the relevant pages or transcribe the details and put them in a sticky somewhere on the forum?

I'd certainly like to get all this info from my car and put it in a safe place in case of toerag larceny but with no access to lifting gear I'd like to know where I'm looking before scrabbling around under it on the street - I imagine others are likely to feel much the same way.

Forgive my ignorance, but by 'body/engine/gearbox & rear axle numbers', are we talking about four completely different bits of information from four separate locations, or can all/some of this be obtained from the same place i.e. the footwell location mentioned above?

-Tom
Last edited by tomti on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

All separate numbers.

Check the number on the chassis plate matches that stamped into the bodyshell.

Also, if sending me engine nos, need the one fitted IN the vehicle - obviously the one stated on the V5 may be different.

Worth concidering marking the chassis number on the reverse of interior trim, wings, bonnets,doors etc. MMOC supplying a sticker for the window stating this?

Further ideas much welcomed!
tomti
Minor Friendly

Post by tomti »

POMMReg wrote:All separate numbers.

Check the number on the chassis plate matches that stamped into the bodyshell.

Also, if sending me engine nos, need the one fitted IN the vehicle - obviously the one stated on the V5 may be different.

Worth concidering marking the chassis number on the reverse of interior trim, wings, bonnets,doors etc. MMOC supplying a sticker for the window stating this?

Further ideas much welcomed!
A sticker sounds like an excellent idea.

So, we just need to find a legal-department-appropriate source for the location of the relevant numbers on the vehicle(s) that can be understood by the novice. Can anyone help?

-Tom
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Surely this info needs to be stored away from the car at home in a safe place not on the vehicle - say with the vehicle's documents. If it's stolen then the numbers go with it?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tomti
Minor Friendly

Post by tomti »

ASL642 wrote:Surely this info needs to be stored away from the car at home in a safe place not on the vehicle - say with the vehicle's documents. If it's stolen then the numbers go with it?
I agree. I think the suggestion was probably meant to be that this be a belt-and-braces thing, where the bits of the vehicle that might be ebayed are marked and that fact displayed as a deterrent in a highly-visible place, as well as a record being kept of the various ID numbers for addition to the register and safekeeping with other documents etc.

The real issue before any of this could become commonplace is though, in my opinion, making some kind of document listing VIN etc. locations that, rather than refer to online versions of the Workshop Manual (for copyright reasons), exists somewhere on this forum as an original. This can be used by the non-technical owner (the majority?) to quickly and easily locate their various ID numbers in order to thus record them.

My suggestion was that those who are more familiar with the documentation than others volunteer what they know about these locations so that a list (initially incomplete) can be begun and perhaps made into a sticky, like the very helpful thread/nut/bolt size info elsewhere on this forum. We've moved house recently but when I've unpacked my copy of the manual I'd be happy to dig around in it. I would be doing so from a position of unfamiliarity so might not be the most efficient contributor to this list but if everyone with an interest were to do so it would hopefully be quite a quick and painless process?

-Tom
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I personally think it's a useful idea, my only concern is that this is an open forum for all to read.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tomti
Minor Friendly

Post by tomti »

ASL642 wrote:I personally think it's a useful idea, my only concern is that this is an open forum for all to read.
That's an interesting point. It would be self-defeating to go to all the bother of listing the ID number positions if publishing the location of information would negate the usefulness of recording it.

I wonder, though, what damage it could do for the ne'er-do-wells to know where this info can be found? If they remove or alter it, then the difference from an original owner's record should sound alarm bells, and if the same info turns up on two 'different' vehicles then we know dodgy behaviour has occurred. Knowledge of the location of the info wouldn't alter this, would it?

I suppose the recording of numbers on wings etc. might act as less of a deterrent with regard to the whole stripping-for-parts issue if it's widely known to be going on, but the results of punches and etching are harder to remove than paint or pen marks and, again, the knowledge that someone's made an effort to record this information might make a bit of dent in the potential thief's enthusiasm when considering the deed. Hours spent grinding numbers off parts (then making it look like you didn't) might make the resale value of parts that often go for between tens of and a couple of hundred pounds less exciting - better to mug a granny or something!

I know the police are still big fans of the bike registrations scheme(s) despite the fact that everyone knows they exist and the serial numbers on those are always in the same place - perhaps there's some precedent there?

-Tom
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Just throwing out a few ideas.

Probably the best way is a reference number for each vehicle - which will NOT include a chassis number.

Please keep your idea's coming!