Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stanmo
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wiper arms

Post by Stanmo »

Hello all. Wonder if you could help? I noticed the wiper arm has a little play and was slightly raised from its mount. How would I tighten this? Do I need to go inside the dash and what am I looking at? Also noticed I have no rubber seals between bezel and body, do I remove the arm to fit these? Thanks in advance. I’ve attached images to show what I mean.
Attachments
07E48E50-64F5-45F8-9596-A21F01B04A20.jpeg
07E48E50-64F5-45F8-9596-A21F01B04A20.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 598 times
0238919A-6FAC-4147-94EF-9AC3A2FDE18C.jpeg
0238919A-6FAC-4147-94EF-9AC3A2FDE18C.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 598 times
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wiper arms

Post by kennatt »

should have a rubber seal and tightens up with the large outer nut just below the wiper arm, take wiper arm off undo nut lift everything off and fit new seal ,you need to hold the centre spindle to prevent it dropping back inside the car,if it does just get something to hold it up from inside( wives are sometimes useful) be careful with the removal and replacement of that large nut ,it's not very strong and can sometimes split,its also easy to cross thread it on replacement ,just make sure that when you start to screw it on it runs free by hand if it seams tight,don't be tempted to force it with a spanner, need doing because it will let a lot of rain into the car.The seals are obtainable from the usual dealers. But can be made with cycle inner tube if you can't get them.
good luck
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Stanmo
"Removal " of the nut needs great care. Odds are stacked against you if it hasn't come off before. A good long soak in Plus gas / WD 40 and work the nut back and forth with tiny motions , using a well fitting spanner.
If you're tempted to try the heat treatment , with very hot water application , make sure both the windscreen glass and paintwork are fully protected ( thick cardboard , paper towel , rags etc ).
Note the position of the wiper blade , prior to removal , to aid re- installation. A dab of coppa ease on the thread
should stop the nut seizing , next time around.
Bob
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

I now put new rubber seals on the spindles as the old seals most often have split and fallen off....its where the water/muck gets in and damages the rack spindle shafts leading to seizure or sluggish wiper operation and wear....

old seal
Seal.jpg
Seal.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 486 times
I use Hellerman sleeves H50X20BK and it is just possible to stretch them over the wiper arm boss as the rubber is very good and stretchy then slide them into place without removing the boss..

place for new seal

Seal 2.jpg
Seal 2.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 486 times
Taupe