Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch replacement

Post by Classiccars »

Hi gents can you give me an idea of price for clutch replacement on the traveller.Was reading something about having to move the engine to do the job.Probably a bit cheaper as we are in the Welsh valleys but would like an idea including parts if possible as a job for the winer please
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Clutch replacement

Post by jagnut66 »

Here you go:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... RBO&adurl=

I find it easier to remove the engine and gearbox through the front of the car (with the grill panel and rad removed) and do it off the car.
Others say you can split the two on the car and do it that way. Horses for courses.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you sound advise
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You may also find one of these an advantage, if you don't already have one fitted.
Will also save you many head injuries (from the bonnet) in the future..... :D
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251389972380 ... SwyNdfHtNW
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Classiccars wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm Hi gents can you give me an idea of price for clutch replacement on the traveller.Was reading something about having to move the engine to do the job.Probably a bit cheaper as we are in the Welsh valleys but would like an idea including parts if possible as a job for the winer please
Are you after a price for a garage to do the job?

Regarding the price of a clutch, you can look that up, but I would recommend getting decent quality clutch kit. Borg & Beck are no longer the quality they once were and there have been a lot of problems reported with them.

Regarding how to do the job, you can either remove the gearbox alone, the engine alone, or as Jagnut66 says, the engine and gearbox combined, but this would seem to me to be a waste of time as you will then have to separate them anyway. As he says, though, it's 'horses for courses'. However, personally, having removed both engines and gearboxes, I personally would recommend doing the clutch by removing the engine every time. To me, it's more accessible, and you won't encounter issues with seized bolts, rounded screw heads in the floor that need drilling out, or gearbox cross member bolts that are no longer captive...

As for time - I'm not sure how long it would take a garage, but I can do it comfortably in a day and I'm not the speediest, so perhaps 4 or 5 hours' labour?
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks for that
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The Minor is a (relatively) simple car to maintain but if you go down the garage route, you will probably find a variety of prices quoted, mainly due to the hourly rate. If you do this please let us know what they quote, out of interest.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I fitted a Borg and Beck clutch a few years ago and had to file the thrust bearing down to get it to fit. Not sure what other options there are though.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Probably get it done in the winter or may even leave until next year as clutch pedal is high on the bite but not terrible
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I wouldn’t leave it too long as there’s a risk of scoring the pressure plate and flywheel.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If you've got access to a proper ramp (ours is of the 4 post variety) it's pretty easy to pull the gearbox, myself and my 18 year old son did a clutch change in not much more than a couple of hours;
Support engine under back of sump on jacking beam, remove gearstick, propshaft, clutch linkage, speedo cable, and rear crossmember, loosen exhaust, then lower the back of the engine down being careful the heater valve doesn't get damaged on the bulkhead. Undo the bolts holding the engine to the gearbox while supporting the rear of it, rotate gearbox through 90 degrees and withdraw it. Assembly is the reverse.

This was on a car we had only just re-built (this idiot put the clutch plate in back to front) so no problems with rusty bolts etc.

This is what you would expect a garage to do, working at home on a cold floor I would probably take a bit more time pull the whole lot out the front.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

This is only a theoretical problem at the moment, but it's annoying that if I need to do this I'll have to disturb my nice new carpets just to get to the four brass screws going through the cover to the gearbox crossmember. Or is it possible to leave the crossmember in place?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There’s a general feeling that engine removal is favoured for a clutch replacement.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

More great ideas.Thank you all