Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Tappet chest breather canister

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I am sourcing a tappet chest cover with attached breather and have come accross these:
Tappet chest covers.JPG
Tappet chest covers.JPG (181.3 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Both have been removed from Morris Minor engines, I recognise the type on the right but is the one on the left also originally a Minor one?
I ask because of the difference in the canister angle.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Tappet chest breather canister

Post by les »

Mike, Phil (pgp001) will no doubt know, he modified a few for members, I Initially sent him a Mini one which he told me was different.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Mike

The RHS one looks to be for a Minor, the canister sits vertically when mounted on the engine.
The LHS one looks to be a Mini one and the canister is canted forward, these do not fit a Minor and it will interfere with the bottom radiator hose.

If you decide to fit one, I can modify it for you so it can be stripped down and maintained, most of the one I have modified so far have been well blocked up with rust and oily crud, and would have not worked very well.

Send me a PM for details if you want one doing.

Phil
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

If you decide to fit one, I can modify it for you so it can be stripped down and maintained, most of the one I have modified so far have been well blocked up with rust and oily crud, and would have not worked very well.
Thanks Phil,
I have been looking for a spare, to then ask if you would modify it for me, that way I don't have to take the car off the road whilst it's done.
I will get it and be in touch.
I thought the left hand one looked too big to be from a Mini though? Apparently it was removed from a Minor.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)