Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chill59
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Souped up A Series?

Post by Chill59 »

What's the best engine to source to increase the power of my pick-up?
I want more power but not so much that I'd need to upgrade the suspension. I would, however, convert to front disk brakes and a servo. The bigger engine would also need to work with my reconditioned standard gearbox.
I'm running a 'car' ratio diff.
Are there any companies that sell mildly tuned/bored-out 1275 engines off the shelf, ready to drop in?

TIA Chris
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Souped up A Series?

Post by philthehill »

The Marina 1275cc engine is a good engine to fit in your vehicle.
To enable the fit you will need a rear engine plate and modified flywheel. The front engine plate will need to be changed to the Minor front engine plate as the Marina and Minor engine mounts are different.
All of the above is easy to do. Plenty of examples on here which can be found using the search facility.
If you want a ready converted engine you will in all probability need to give in a 1275cc engine that can be reconditioned.
The Marina engine will work with your reconditioned gearbox.
Here is a reasonably priced Marina engine:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234289565826 ... SwVe1hk25j

Chill59
Minor Friendly

Post by Chill59 »

Thanks Phil.
Will the engine plates I need swap straight off my 1098 engine?
How is the flywheel modified? (can I use the flywheel off my 1098?).

Cheers Chris
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The rear engine plate off the 1098cc engine will not fit the 1275cc as the 1275cc oil pump housing is in a different place radially.
Also the hole for the rear crankshaft cap is larger on the 1275cc engine. A suitable rear engine plate is available from ESM Morris
.https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... ew-p830099
The front engine plate off your 1098cc engine will fit straight onto the Marina engine. If you retain the simplex timing chain tensioner you will have to drill a couple of extra holes in the plate to facilitate the tensioner. Use the Marina front plate as a pattern.
The 1098cc flywheel will not fit the 1275cc Marina engine as the Marina engine has one location dowel and 6 securing bolts. Again a modified flywheel is available from ESM Morris.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... s-p1239064

Chill59
Minor Friendly

Post by Chill59 »

Thank you very much Phil. :D
I did start searching for info but didn't get very far :(
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A question and answer session like this is very good proof of the worth of dedicated sites like this one and why we need to retain them, rather than all decamping to the likes of Facebook.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

A question and answer session like this is very good proof of the worth of dedicated sites like this one and why we need to retain them, rather than all decamping to the likes of Facebook.
Agreed, Mike. With forums/sites like this, there is record of questions, comments and in most cases, solutions to any issue raised. It's then there as a reference point for for anyone to use, whether paid-up MMOC members or not.........but best not to go down that go down that particular rabbit hole again, so soon after going down the last one. :D :D
Chill59
Minor Friendly

Post by Chill59 »

What is the main differences between a Marina 1275 and a Midget 1275? Is one more desirable than the other?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The main visible difference between the 1275cc Marina/Ital engine and a 1275cc Midget engine is the position of the oil filter.
The Marina/Ital has a different crankshaft and con rods to that of the Midget. The Marina/Ital flywheel is larger and the timing chain arrangement is different. The Marina/Ital has a Simplex timing chain with tensioner and duplex timing chain without tensioner on the Midget.
The best and most desirable combination is Ital 'A' Plus block (without casting hole above the centre main), Midget crankshaft (preferably cross drilled, wedged, tuftrided and balanced), Cooper S con rods (preferably in EN24V steel & balanced) and duplex timing chain with Marina/Ital tensioner.
The above have been used in the build of my 1380cc engine.
Some early 1275cc Midget crankshafts were produced in EN40B but are now a rarity. Those crankshafts were nitride treated.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Forgive the intervention - what is the advantage of cross-drilling a wedging?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Cross drilling the crankshaft ensures that oil gets to all of the bearing surface. Centrifugal force if the crankshaft is not cross drilled will starve oil from one side of the crankshaft.
Wedging the crankshaft gets rid of excessive weight. Losing weight from the crankshaft allows for quicker pickup and more reliability at higher revs.
Note:- the webs of the crankshaft in the photo below have been reduced/wedged. It has also been cross drilled, tuftrided, checked for trueness and balanced.
WDF crankshaft 2.jpg
WDF crankshaft 2.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 1319 times

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I've often thought about a small turbo or a supercharger on the 1098, they don't really like revs so traditional power tuning is not really appropriate but something giving around 5psi of boost and sized to push the torque up by around 30% would make a great road engine.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Would there be enough clearance between the SU carb/air filter and the bulkhead/battery box?

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

That is a good looking kit.
Would there be enough clearance between the SU carb/air filter and the bulkhead/battery box?
I guess your comment means that you doubt it Phil -- I do.

I think it might need a different intake to the SC, perhaps a right angle shape that would point the carb's intake to the passenger side. But then it might be necessary to move the wiper motor :(

Don
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

That looks very interesting indeed!
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

" Would there be enough clearance between the SU carb/air filter and the bulkhead/battery box? "

I very much doubt it , but , if it were a non modified Eaton M24 placed with the pulley in-line with the crankshaft pulley , admittedly a different head/supercharger casting would be needed ( offset ) , then it might fit ?

ERROR
The image file you tried to attach is invalid.

John ;-)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I wonder if the carb to charger adapter was flipped would that give enough room to clear the cross member.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Image?
Tom'shop2A.jpg
Tom'shop2A.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
From the above ( with a pancake type filter fitted ) can anyone give an educated guess whether it would fit ?

John ;-)
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

panky wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:05 pm I wonder if the carb to charger adapter was flipped would that give enough room to clear the cross member.
I don't think so, the adaptor is sculpted to the charger..
pod1.jpg
pod1.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
John ;-)