Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Different A series engines

Post by dp »

Probably a really simple thing to those who know but something I have no experience of so here goes:

How do the Mg 1100 and 1275 engines compare with the Minor's engine in terms of day to day performance, sound and characteristics? Eg Does the 1275 just feel like a Minor 1098 but with more oomph and do either of the MG engines with twin carbs have the Minor over-run fart?

And while not really in my scope, since it's one of the family, what about the Marina engine - similar or completely different?

I'm thinking of getting a Midget and always preferred the '60s aesthetic over the later cars. Those cars came with a 1098 or 1275 and I wonder if I should care too much over which engine to get with the car. It's early days. Most weeks I'm thinking of getting something or other and only occasionally does it come to an actual purchase.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Different A series engines

Post by ManyMinors »

It is the exhaust system on the Minor which makes the sound rather than the engine, so a Minor engine fitted to a Midget would not give the same exhaust note.
Generally the Mk3 1275 engined Midgets (from the end of 1966) are considered the most desirable because they have the best engine and the much more practical folding hood which was introduced at the same time. Any Midget is a great little fun car, but little is the operative word. They are very small and although I have driven them in the past, I really wouldn't be agile enough now, so try before you buy!

Compared with a Minor, the lower weight and extra power make them seem quite quick. Being so close to the ground in a fairly noisy car helps this sensation too of course!

Like everything else, buy the best condition you can find. Condition is probably more important than specification. Because the Mk3 is the most desirable, they are also the most expensive of course. Running costs are low. Barely more than a Minor!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Four different blocks were used for the 1275cc Midget/Sprite engine. CC, CE, CD & 12V778.
The best 1275cc Midget engine is one were you have been able to mix and match the parts
Make sure that the block does not have a casting window above the centre main which can be found on CD & CE blocks. The CC block does not have the window.
The 12CC block has a thin flange whereas the CD & CE blocks have the thick flange.
The early 1275cc crankshafts were made from EN40 steel the same material as the early 1275 Cooper S.
The early 1275cc con rods were made from EN24V steel later downgraded to EN16.
A good read regarding the 1275cc Midget/Sprite engine is MG Midget & Austin Healey Sprite High |Performance Manual by Daniel Stapleton and published by Veloce Publishing ISBN 9 781787 110014

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Noooo! You can't call them 'Midgets' now! Its offensive............apparently :roll:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

MG Midget! Midget! Midget! Midget! Midget! Midget! Midg.....etc. etc...........
Oh dear. does this mean I'm being politically incorrect?.....
Oh dear. How sad. Never mind!
Sick to death of OTT PC bullsh**! :evil:
I suppose this means I'm suffering from 'white priviledge' and need to be 're-educated' (read brainwashed).
What has happened to the world, no wonder I wish I'd been born into an earlier generation.
Our Grandparents (in my case anyway -- with younger people whose parents are / were younger as well, that would be great grandparents or even great great grandparents) generation would never have put up with this rubbish!
Rant over.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Mike - unless we are very careful, 're-educating' will soon involve a visit from armed goons who will drag you away to an establishment where you will be subjected to methods similar to those employed on Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984 :(
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Thanks all
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Marketing men in the 60s would have struggled to find a catchy slogan for the ‘MG of restricted growth’.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The MG Homunculus.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Marketing men in the 60s would have struggled to find a catchy slogan for the ‘MG of restricted growth’.
:lol: :lol:

Careful now or they'll be introducing laws, like they've just done in Scotland to restrict freedom of speech on certain topics..... :wink:
Which, as we all know, scarily, is the thin end of the wedge, now that the PC brigade have crossed that first hurdle......
(For those who don't believe me see below)
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-53526843
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 pm
:lol: :lol:

Careful now or they'll be introducing laws, like they've just done in Scotland to restrict freedom of speech on certain topics..... :wink:
Which, as we all know, scarily, is the thin end of the wedge, now that the PC brigade have crossed that first hurdle......
(For those who don't believe me see below)
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-53526843
Pray for us poor suffering fools living under the nationalist and hard-left nimby coalition in Scotland. Still, those two things always worked so well together in the past…

As for the original post question, I’m told the 948 a series gives the nicest exhaust note. I’ve heard of guys fitting bigger engines to the original exhaust and finding the Minor exhaust “fart” diminished, or inexplicably gone.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I’ve heard of guys fitting bigger engines to the original exhaust and finding the Minor exhaust “fart” diminished, or inexplicably gone.
I've fitted Maniflow 1 1/2" exhaust systems to mine (standard 1098 and 948 engines), along with a bit of mild porting, the engine breathing is very much improved but sadly they no longer 'fart' in public...... 8) :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.