Springy knocking noise towards front of car

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

Good point Andrew
I dont ever remember any of the jack manufacturers suggesting to use 20w50 as an alternative.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
aaroncollett
Minor Friendly

Post by aaroncollett »

ok, it sounds like I am in the right area. I did give it a bit of a bounce when I had filled it, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I thought I would drive it for a bit, then check again today. I did clean the damper in the areas where I thought I might spot leaks, so I guess that time will tell.

With these cars, even if the dampers (and for that matter, all devices that need fluid to operate) are not worn out, is it still normal that they consume (or lose) a given amount of fluid over time? Obviously if there is a puddle on the floor, then something bad has happened, but I guess what I am trying to get at is an understanding of what levels I need to check, and how frequently I should check them?

I do have a manual on its way, but I don't know whether or not it will contain this info.

Thanks, Aaron
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

but I guess what I am trying to get at is an understanding of what levels I need to check, and how frequently I should check them?
Hopefully somebody will have the info to hand, as I only tend to check when I think there is a problem or notice a leak in which case I just change them.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Aaron, some of the air can take a while to get out. The rears I did off the car and found the air can be expelled more easily through moving the shocker through its whole stroke. So to replicate this on the fronts I found the best way was to fill the damper right to the top, leave the top bolt out then grab the car by the front bumper, pull it up as far as i could then bounce the car up and down. The level needs to be 3/8's " / 1cm from the top of the filler AFAIK. I then left it , repeated and if the level was still too high used a syringe and a piece of washer tubing to suck out excess.

If you leave it for a week then check I'm sure that'll be fine. Then if its gone down check a week later. To check the level I used a grey cable tie that I cleaned with oil on a clean rag, dipped into the damper and marked the top with a pen.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The dampers should NOT leak - at all. MOT fail - if they spot it!
Road conditions and driver expectations have moved on considerably since anyone oversaw development of Minor dampers. The oils are all the same basic make-up, just different viscosities. Each to their own - i like firm damping, not 'ship at sea' effect with bump stops taking a hammering!
ImageImage
Cam

Post by Cam »

bmcecosse wrote:The oils are all the same basic make-up, just different viscosities.
Apparently not, which is why they don't use engine oil in jacks! :wink:
Each to their own - i like firm damping, not 'ship at sea' effect with bump stops taking a hammering!
That sounds like very knackered dampers. They should not do this under normal conditions. If you are subjecting the car to 'abnormal' conditions then a telescopic damper conversion is the usual route and will give far superior results.

It all depends on what you want though.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can use engine oil in jacks - both normal mineral oil !
Yes - front tele dampers are definitely the way to go.
ImageImage
Onne

Post by Onne »

why is it sold as two separate oils then?
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

I certainly plan to get front tele dampers, I find 20w/50 still isn't quite as much damping as I'd like on the front and a little too much on the rear. The rears need changing soon so I'll use standard oiled on the rear and hope to get adjustable teles on the front.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

To make MONEY !! We use many small jacks at work for various assembly jigs - all are filled with engine oil, and have been for 15 years I know of without ill effect.
ImageImage
Onne

Post by Onne »

could very well be. I guess they don't have to be as multigrade-ish as engine oils, as they won't get that hot
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Hmm - very little point going down this route again. The guy who oversaw the design and development really did say it recently to somebody you and I both know, and I'm rather happy to take his word for it. My guess is he KNOWS what he's talking about, long chain molecules and all.
Onne

Post by Onne »

I agree, and the metal isn't exactly new anymore, as are the seals inside
and let's indeed stop this oily topic
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The important thing is - DO NOT use brake fluid in the dampers!
ImageImage