Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

first service advice please...

Post by Rob_Jennings »

OK.

So I've had lizzy a number of weeks now and decided that its time for a first service..... my first service on a moggy that is since she must be a pro by now! Of course owning a moggy is all about doing as much yourself as you can, so definatly not off to a garage for this.

got a greese gun, plugs, oil, air filter, etc all ready to go.

any sound advice before I start?

One friend suggested that with her on axle stands its worth jacking up the suspension on the side you are working on as the greese should go in easier?

One question is I assume axle stands under the front rails, but where is the best place to jack to get her up to that point? I have trolley jack, so is it under the centre of cross member?

Cheers for any advice
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

One friend suggested that with her on axle stands its worth jacking up the suspension on the side you are working on as the greese should go in easier?
Before you start you should really get yourself a manual there are plenty on ebay, and you friend is right the car does need to be off the ground so that the right amount of grease goes in and pushes some of the old stuff out, this is all explained in the manuals for the car get yourself one and a lot of the jobs will be simpler to understand.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Hi Rob, if you look in the links page on my website (link below) I have a service sheet (in excel format) that I find makes serviing a little easier, I just print it and tick it off as I go round.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

Thanks, have taken a copy of that sheet.

I have also read loads of manuals on what I should be doing. But I know what they are like. Simple instructions like 'apply greese to x' 'simply unbolt y' 'reassemble in reverse order' which we all know results in hours of head straching and the odd naughty word. So if anyone has some star tricks or tips feel free to add them here.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Always use a block of timber between the jack and the chassis - and never use the official 'jacking points' on the crossmember. Makes no odds whether car is jacked up or not when greasing - but for access it is usually necessary to remove front wheels - may as well adjust the brakes while in there (if drums) or inspect pads if discs. And check the rubber bump stops are present - and in good condition. Remember to grease the prop shaft and the handbrake cables too.
ImageImage