Marina 1275 oil cooler fitting. Anyone done this?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Marina 1275 oil cooler fitting. Anyone done this?

Post by WPR678B »

I am thinking of fitting an oil cooler to my 1275 Marina engine, but was wondering if anyone else had done this, as it appears that there is no-where to tap into because of the oil filter mounting, unlike all the other a-series engines with the oil filter fed from a pipe. I guess the only way to do this would be to make a sandwich plate between the block and filter with the appropriate tappings in? Any idea's? :-?
GAS
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Oil cooler

Post by GAS »

I also have an A+ marina block and have to fit a cooler as the supercharger is creating alot of exsess heat.
I have found some parts that might work from "Merlin motorsport."
The first part is a Sandwich plate with an internal oil stat.
Using this would mean using a shorter oilfilter so as to clear the crossmember/solinoid
This will give you a flow and return from the cooler of your choice.
Finding a cooler is the problem as there are too many to chose from.

hope this helps.

GAS.........
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

Hi GAS,
Thanks for your reply. I will look Merlin motorsport up and have a look. I am not sure which oil cooler to use yet, but i remember seeing a Metro with one as a standard fit and thinking it looked about right, and being as it was a factory fit on the a-series then it must be suitable! I think it was an earlier version (83/84) of the automatics that had them but again they had the seperate filter housing unlike the Marina! :(
The engine i have is not an A+, just the standard A-series. :wink:
Onne

Post by Onne »

You can do a separate one, there are universal oil coolers on the market, at around £ 60. Possibly fit it in front of the radiator.

Or have a look at some radiators from cars with automatic transmissions
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

Hi Onne,
The problem i have is not being able to tap into the oilway due to my engine type! Its not a simple job like all other a-series engines!

Onne

Post by Onne »

All right, didn't get the 1275 bit :oops:
Did you have a look at turbo'd A+ engines, like Metro turbo? As long as you put it after the filter, you don't want to have dirty oil in your cooler :D

Onne

If you are really struggling, I can give my former employer a call :D
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Onne wrote:You can do a separate one, there are universal oil coolers on the market, at around £ 60. Possibly fit it in front of the radiator.

Or have a look at some radiators from cars with automatic transmissions
I know some autos have coolers for the ATF, but am I right in thinking they're not suitable for engine oil cooling?

If they are, then any auto with a towbar in the breakers may well be a good source of coolers :)

Not sure if the Metro oil/ water cooler will fit a Marina engine, if it does then that's an option but requires more plumbing to the rad...
Onne

Post by Onne »

The plumbing can easily be solved if you have a separate oil cooler. I don't see any problems with ATF coolers, but they are far less efficient than a seperate unit
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

I had a non-morris car where the only way we could run an oil filter was to cut a filter flat, weld pipe connections on, and have a remote filter. This may work for you, if you plumb an oil cooler into the line.

One extra weird idea, iff you haven't got a heater, you could mount it inside the car - just watch out for leaks ;)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

WPR - If your engine has the high mounted cartridge filter - then it IS A+. If it is earlier A series - then it has a pipe running down from above the relief valve to the filter casing. This pipe is removed and the coller connections inserted at each end instead. Loads of coolers about - but not worth doing anything less than 13 row. If the engine has high mount cartridge - then GAS has the solution.
ImageImage
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

BMC,
Yes, i have the high mounted filter which is the problem, but i thought all A+ engines had the "ribbing" on the engine block :-? . The block i have is smooth but without tappet chest covers and with the high filter. I will look into GAS's suggestion today. Thanks for the advice about 13 row. I will bear that in mind. :wink:

The oil cooler that i spoke of from the metro was for the engine oil as it was plumbed into the original filter housing, but i will have to see what i can get hold of at my local breakers! It is just a seperate oil cooler i had in mind. Thanks everyone for your advice so far. :D :wink:
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

the smooth block was a marina engine 1275, and the ribbed block was the iatl a+ 1275.
both had the top oil filter.
another difference was the mounting clamp on the distributor.
the marina was simialr to the morris minor 1098, and the ital was a fork with a single bolt fixing to the block
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

And its the smooth block Marina that i have but i was under the impression that this type of engine was an A series and not an A+, :-? not that it matters anyway, i am just trying to find out how to fit an oil cooler to it!! :D :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Provided it's the high mount filter - you need the sandwich block. The MG metro water/oil exchanger MAY fit - but they were very limited in oil cooling ability anyway. The reason for saying 13 row is that anything less than that seriously restricts oil flow - especially when cold.
ImageImage
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

give me till wensday then pm me ill have a look to see i can get you a oil coller very cheap there about 60 in a shop well i recon i could get them for 30 if you are interested let me know these ones should bolt on the rad but if you make a braket you can put them any were pm me wensday see what i can do for ya
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

I have a oil cooler fitted on my 1275. No idea how, as was done before I owned her. But you're more then welcome to stare under the bonnet or crawl under her at next weeks SADMOG meet to get some ideas perhaps.

See you there Thursday, oh and if you can remember the number plate backing plate for me that would be great (finally got the tow bar off!).

Cheers
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

And its the smooth block Marina that i have but i was under the impression that this type of engine was an A series and not an A+,
Correct as Aupickup said.
Could it be worth contact the Marina owners club to see if someone has done it already.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

MM16, Will pm you wednesday then! Thank you! :D

Rob, I WILL bring the backing plate for you thursday! :wink: I think you have the Midget engine.

Kevin, I will give them a try as i have another issue about engine breathing on this engine that i need cleared up! :D

Thanks everyone for your help! :D
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

Its the marina engine, but does seem to have larger carb and mini air box, so its a bit of mix and match under the bonet

But either way you welcome to peer under the bonet on Thursday for some ideas on how the oil cooler is fitted.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

I'll look forward to having a good look then Rob! Many thanks. :D