My Moggie wants to go sideways! Shock Absorber Problem!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

My Moggie wants to go sideways! Shock Absorber Problem!

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Just recently I have realised that my back axle sounds as if it is bouncing up and down allot when I go over a bump.

Another problem that seems to be coming from the back axle is that when I go over bumps the back of the car keeps trying to wiggle sideways.

I topped up all of the shock absorbers with 20w50 oil and each shock took at least 40ml of oil which seemed like alot!?

The wobbling has slightly improved but there is still a wobbling knocking noise from the rear axle and it still tries to wobble out sideways when going over bumps. Is this my shocks that are dead or is it something else!??
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Sideways movement suggests a loose axle. This is most likely to be caused by excess wear in the spring bushes. It could also be something obscure like loose u-bolts. They secure the axle to the springs but also hold the bump stops in place. These have metal bases which can corrode causing the u-bolts to loosen. If the axle is moving sideways it will almost certainly lead to premature damper failure as they are not designed to take forces in that direction.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds horribly like rusted out spring mounts - or it could just be a broken spring, or v badly worn spring shackle bushes. Inspect everything v carefully.
ImageImage
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

I agree with all of the above - and a couple of others.

And check the tires. I fitted 185's on the standard rims (don't ask ;)) and it was like driving on ice. Also if they are a bit flat it will make for an exciting ride :)

Try pushing down on the back and release, if it bounces a couple of times then stops the shocks are ok. If it keeps bouncing the shocks may still have air in them.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

The Bump Stop on the back left hand side is missing. could this mean that the U-bolt is now to loose allowing the axle to slide forwards and backwards slightly?

The hangers and leaf springs all seem ok. the leaf springs are a little tired and flat but seem ok.
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The bump stop metal sleeve mount will still be there - but you should fit new bump stops asap. May as well get two new ones !
ImageImage
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

What is the best way to check for movement? Is grabbing the wheel and giving it a good hard push and pull good enough? Or is it best to push and pull the car??

help!!
thanks
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Push the body of the car sideways at the bottom rear of the roof. don't push the wheelarch - you may damage it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe it's just with one bump stop the car is squatting down - hitting that one stop which then lurches it over to one side. If it's low - then two new springs and two new bump stops (and new bushes all round) will put it right again! If you just fit new stops it may sit on them almost all the time - which is 'harsh' to say the least and can damaged the chassis by constantly thumping on the bump stop.
ImageImage
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

And new springs are such an improvement over saggy old items. Well worth doing. ESM also now have a full range poly bushes for the rear including the 'saddle pads' for either side of the road spring.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

New Bump Stop fitted today and all problems have been solved so it looks as if I need a new pair of Leaf Springs for the back. Anybody got a spare set cheap?? :D :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You would just be fitting someone elses problem. Buy new.
Do a search for 'best buy' - Bull Motif are often good and sometimes have 'special offers' - but a supplier near you could save significant transport costs if you can collect.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

whatever you do don't fit old leaf springs,after all the agro of rusted up nuts and u bolts,fit new ones Tom roy £29,50 each ,Just did mine unbelievable difference in the ride and handling.Fit polly bushes as well while you're at it.Old springs, unless you know the donor car is low milage,may be as bad as the ones you take off.Then you've got to start all over again,NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Do a search for 'best buy'
or keep a watch on ebay. I bought some new ones that were bought for an uncompleted project, got the pair for £25, collected in person for free when visiting parents!
They do come up every so often. Just avoid the used ones as others advise!
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

New Bump Stop fitted today and all problems have been solved
So were the bases of the old ones corroded then?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

This is the rear bump stops being considered here - and yes - they usually do corrode!
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

BMC. Please read back and see who suggested this in the first place. Then you will see why I asked Andrew the question.
mickessex
Minor Fan

Post by mickessex »

New leaf springs on ebay, take a look.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Morris-Minor-Leaf ... dZViewItem

* www.morrisminorowners.co.uk
* The Morris Minor Classic Message Board
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

PT - your suggestion was that the axle could be loose possibly because of corrosion. My experience is that when these corrode - and they certainly do - the whole lot goes completely solid, not loose. You didn't suggest that having only one bump stop could cause the axle to squidge sideways - clearly what was happening here.
ImageImage
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Hi Guys! thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Yes the whole area down by the bump stop was very dirty and all the bolts are stuck on at the moment. The Rubber Bump Stop was missing but the metal plate it fixes to was still there! I gues the Rubber is glued to the metal plate?

I salvaged another rubber bump stop off a scrap car in Harry Bucklands just to see if it fixed the problem. Sure enough a blob of glue later and a huge cable tie, the car had stop wobbling about.

There is only about 1inch clearance either side between the bump and the chassis, so i gues that the springs are very tired.

When I have enough money (Being a student!) I will replace the complete lot! With New springs, New brushes, new bump stops and new shocks (Shocks were also suspect!)