Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pascal
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

broken piston ring?

Post by Pascal »

Hi,

My moggy was running like a dream until now (just been to a 1300 miles round trip to Ireland in April without any problem) however recently the idling has become irregular, like if it was running on 3 pots, with puffs of black smoke at the back. It's leaking exhaust gas in the engine bay, though I couldn't spot where from. When you rev up everything sounds fine and the car drives normally.

It had been leeking oil from the manifold side for a while, apparently from the head gasket, but I didn't pay too much attention. The oil leaking seems to have increased recently.

Could that be a broken piston ring? If this is the case is this repairable at a reasonable cost (I will have to have it done by a garage), or am I heading for a recon engine? (I believe my engine must have about 100K miles)

Regards
1970 4-door saloon

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

poor running at low revs is often just a burnt exhaust valve, but you need a compression test before making any initial conclusions.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yep - sounds like exhaust valve to me too - but of course could just be needing the valve gaps reset if a little bit of 'recession' has set in. Could also be first signs of head gasket failure!! Try the gaps first - if not that then off with it's head!
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if you have a broken piston ring,its not just a case of replacing the ring it will had damaged the cylinder bore,so rebore, new pistons.but if the engine has done 100k then you would be also wise to have the bottom end done as well.Therefore better option is to do as other say get a compression test done and have a look at the tappet setting.If it turns out to be piston problem.The cheapest route is a decent second hand engine,there's still a few about also possible to upgrade to larger unit.Also with recon engine you have to be careful with where you buy ,some reconners are conners. :D They only replace the essential bits,and leave other things as they were,so you don't get a fully reconed unit good luck with it