Dolomite/marina rear axle help needed

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
uax6
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by uax6 »

The idea of 15" rims is attractive (even better cuising speed/low engine rpms) but at the minute the cost of the hub modding (and keeping my existing rims with good tyres on) will probably be cheaper. I've got a spare pair of marina hubs which if i do stumble across a cheap set of rims I can put back on!

I've got the potential for 13" ital rims, but that will defeat the object!

Food for thought time me thinks

Andy G
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Andy,

yes, just undo the bearing housing at the axle end, the half shaft and hub will then be free to be removed, as I said a substantial slide hammer is recommended.

Alec
uax6
Minor Friendly

Post by uax6 »

Well I've just won a set of maestro alloys with tyres off ebay, so it looks like I'll not be getting the hubs converted now ;-) Still got to take the shafts out of the axle, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Does anyone know what the thread is on a dolly stud? (I've got no wheel nuts, and I'll need to use the studs to pull the shafts out.)

Thanks for the help, I'll let you all know how I get on (I'll try and sort photos out of the conversion on a website for you to look at them!)

Andy G
Ludsonline

Re:

Post by Ludsonline »

uax6 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 am
Kevin wrote:Is the Dolomite rear axle suitable for a Minor as I have not heard of one being used before and I didnt think it was the same as the Marina one.
In the 'bible' (Owen Burtons book) the dolomite axle is quoted as it is the same track width as the minor one, and not 2" longer like the marina one. It does have draw backs, but this is mainly due to having to make spring mounts.

Russ Smith (Of twin cam fame) while working for practile classics (sometime back now) had a triumph engined trav, which broke the halfshafts on the standard minor axle. He fitted a dolly axle, and Owen Burton modified the hubs for him. Now Owen also did the spring locators for the axle tube.

Any idea where I can get this stuff from now?

Andy G
Andy G, that will be my Traveller your talking about ;)
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dolomite/marina rear axle help needed

Post by philthehill »

The spring seats for welding onto the Dolomite axle casing are available from ESM under part numbers DIP165 & DIP166.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear- ... mm-p831292

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Dolo ... Sw2VZdqgxo

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

12 years between posts. What's the record???? :D
Cardiff, UK
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

RobThomas wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 am 12 years between posts. What's the record???? :D
At least he the used the search function rather than asking a question that gets asked week in and week out :D