Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
winger300
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Pattern Swivel pin quality

Post by winger300 »

Are the exchange units from ESM/Bullmotif of good quality? or should I go for the MOWOG parts?

I don't expect to get the steering arms off the old ones, and the cheaper pattern swivel pins come with them already fitted, the MOWOG part doesn't.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

they are fine,
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

the steering arms a easy to get off using this method place the unit so that the domed part of the unit is on something solid(Concret floor) after undoing the nut get a big hammer 5lb club and stike the unit above the point where the arm goes, through several time(You will not damage the unit) keep hitting it until you see the arm move away from the unit .you will see a gap at the joint.Then simply tap out the steering arm.Have done several this way works ,every time. The arm is on a taper and pops out the same as a track rod end does with a good hit
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Go for genuine MOWOG. The cheaper versions are metal sprayed and if you cover average milage,drive enthusiastically or have a modified minor they will not last very long.

winger300
Minor Fan

Post by winger300 »

Do the steering arms fit easily to the new Swivel pin? or it worth just buying new steering arms and saving the bother and hassle?
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

They should fit easily enough, just make sure you fit the woodruff key correctly, Use plenty of copper ease when assembling. If a nyloc nut has been used on the seering arm then replace this on re fitting. :wink:

winger300
Minor Fan

Post by winger300 »

Thanks for the advice. I just tried using kennatt's method, but after a lot of serious beating the steering arm hasn't moved at all, not even enough to break the rust around the joint! Maybe I'm just not hitting it hard enough, but I've almost flattened the swivel leg and left a hole in the concrete!

I think I'll get a new steering arm.

Should Swivel pins be replaced on both sides? or is it ok to replace a single if the other isn't in too bad shape? The one I removed so far had a good square thread on the top trunnion, but the bottom trunnion seized when trying to unscrew it.... which is probably due to the lower trunnion pivot pin being seized in the trunnion, it looks like its been that way for a while, and in turn its totally worn through one side of the eyebolt bush and into the eyebolt itself.

If the other side is ok, no need to replace it right?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Try heating it with a blowtorch before trying to knock it out.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
winger300
Minor Fan

Post by winger300 »

Dont have one unfortunately :(

What's the purpose of the woodruff key?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

winger300 wrote:Dont have one unfortunately :(
What's the purpose of the woodruff key?
It stops it rotating.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And yes - just renew the side that's worn!
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

if the beating with a hammer fails,and the leg is scrap,to salvage the arm use a grinder and cut through the leg above the arm.Stop before you get right through to avoid damaging the arm. Use a thickish cold chisel and same big hammer and split the leg,then the arm should just about fall out.I hate throwing good bits away.Maybe thats why I cant get my car into my double garage,full of old bits and pieces salvaged overs the years :D can;t remember what 90% of them are from now :(