Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Plug lead ordering & compression

Post by dplant_uk »

From the distributor cap what is the order of the spark plug leads? I am also assuming it runs 1 thru 4 from front to back, please confirm.

Also, what is the compression reading I should get from the engine, I will stick a compression measure on later to check. The engine is trying to get going but not quite there so wanted to check these things.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Number 1 plug is closest to the radiator and the firing order is 1342. They run anti-clockwise round the distributor.
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

Hi, don't mean to sound thick BUT... is this the order of spark plugs from front to back based on the firing order in your answer:

RAD 1 3 4 2

or do they simply run like this:

RAD 1 2 3 4

and that the firing order relates to the order driven by distributor?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Dizzy rotation is anti-clockwise, firing order 1342 with plug lead one nearest rear firewall.

Compressions depend on engine size CR and engine health.
Difference between cylinders is more important. (10% max)
My 1098 returns 12BAR (174PSI) on all 4 cylinders. (Newish engine)

Anything above 130PSI is good going on a tired engine.

Cylinder Numbers are 1234 with 1 closest to radiator
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

dplant_uk wrote:Hi, don't mean to sound thick BUT... is this the order of spark plugs from front to back based on the firing order in your answer:

RAD 1 3 4 2

RAD 1 2 3 4

The leads need to be arranged so that the first goes to 1, the second to 3, third to 4 and fourth to two. It's how the engine is designed - do it differently, and the spark will happen at the wrong point of the piston cycle, thus not running the engine
MoggyTech wrote:Dizzy rotation is anti-clockwise, firing order 1342 with plug lead one nearest rear firewall.
Conventionally, plug 1 is nearest the radiator, not the firewall.
a
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

bigginger wrote:
dplant_uk wrote:Hi, don't mean to sound thick BUT... is this the order of spark plugs from front to back based on the firing order in your answer:

RAD 1 3 4 2

RAD 1 2 3 4

The leads need to be arranged so that the first goes to 1, the second to 3, third to 4 and fourth to two. It's how the engine is designed - do it differently, and the spark will happen at the wrong point of the piston cycle, thus not running the engine
MoggyTech wrote:Dizzy rotation is anti-clockwise, firing order 1342 with plug lead one nearest rear firewall.
a
Thanks guys for quick responses. Great forum.

I will now have to clock watch until I can get out of work to play with the moggy. :lol:
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

quote]

a[/quote]

But isn't the plug lead from the dizzy for #1 cylinder closest to the firewall? e.g. the rotor arm points to the firewall (10' O'clock roughly) on #1 firing stroke. Sure is on my car. #1 spark plug closest to radiator.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Not on any of my cars, it isn't - bottom right, nearest the rad, arm @ 4 or 5 o'clock
a
Axolotl
Minor Fan

Post by Axolotl »

Not on any of my cars, it isn't - bottom right, nearest the rad, arm @ 4 or 5 o'clock
Ditto.

I think it is possible to assemble the distributor with the offset key drive 180 degrees out, which would give the firing positions you have, Moggy Tech.

I seem to recall a thread on here where somebody had bought a reconditioned distributor like that, and couldn't work out why their engine wouldn't run with the leads in the old "correct" positions.
Cheers, Axolotl.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It is simple to replace them 180 degrees out :D
a
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Looks like I have two distributors with the offset key assembled 180 degrees out. :o Oh well, something a bit different. Both are 25D4 units.

Very strange having two the same (I haven't rebuilt either of them)
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

Oh bugger, my compression readings are thus:

60, 38, 60, 80

advice sought please.

The moggy is 1950 MM, the manual states 918cc, so it won't hit 175 PSI ever!
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

dplant_uk wrote:Oh bugger, my compression readings are thus:

60, 38, 60, 80

advice sought please.

Not good. Looks like worn rings/bores on all 4 as well as possible burnt/leaking valves on the cylinder giving 38 PSI.

You could try a wet test. Squirt a little engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole and retest. A large improvement = worn pistons/bores, little improvement = valve problems, but could still be both.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

These compressions are desperately low - but are you doing the test correctly? You need fully charged (good) battery and hot engine - all spark plugs out, and throttle wedged open slightly. then crank the engine over until a steady reading appears on the gauge.
And -re plug leads - ANY lead can be made #1, the rest just need to follow on in order.
ImageImage
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

MoggyTech wrote:
dplant_uk wrote:Oh bugger, my compression readings are thus:

60, 38, 60, 80

advice sought please.

Not good. Looks like worn rings/bores on all 4 as well as possible burnt/leaking valves on the cylinder giving 38 PSI.

You could try a wet test. Squirt a little engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole and retest. A large improvement = worn pistons/bores, little improvement = valve problems, but could still be both.
Thanks for the lead MoggyTech, will have to give it a go.
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

bmcecosse wrote:These compressions are desperately low - but are you doing the test correctly? You need fully charged (good) battery and hot engine - all spark plugs out, and throttle wedged open slightly. then crank the engine over until a steady reading appears on the gauge.
And -re plug leads - ANY lead can be made #1, the rest just need to follow on in order.
Agreed, they are desperately low. Thanks for the advice on pressure testing. I have a pressure gauge that I screwed into each plug hole one at a time, full battery and turned the engine over for 3 seconds - my brother-in-law's advice, he is the tech - a beetle enthusiast.

I will follow up on yours & MoggyTech's advice from way up there in Bonnie Scotland :)

Cheers, Darren
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Whereabouts in S'oton are you? its one of the most active areas on this forum and someone will probably be able to come and give you a hand :)

Also feel free to come and join the SADMOG group, we meet at a different pub every week around the Southampton area (see "Sawfampton taawn" thread in off topic)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
overider
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by overider »

My screw in comp tester says remove coil + connection remove plugs one at a time screw in tester throttle fully open and turn over for ten seconds.
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have only ever seen it done with ALL plugs out. Gives the starter motor a chance to spin the thing up.
ImageImage
dplant_uk
Minor Friendly

Post by dplant_uk »

Matt wrote:Whereabouts in S'oton are you? its one of the most active areas on this forum and someone will probably be able to come and give you a hand :)

Also feel free to come and join the SADMOG group, we meet at a different pub every week around the Southampton area (see "Sawfampton taawn" thread in off topic)
Helpful assistance would be great. I'm based Locksheath, work in Hedge End.