Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fitting servo brakes

Post by MinorMoments »

Have literally just got my Minor 1000 and only driven her in the wet, yikes the brakes don't exist!

Is it a huge job to fit a servo to the brakes or what can be done to vastly improve them.
superchargedfool
Minor Fan

Post by superchargedfool »

if all cylinders are free and everything is adjusted correct the standard brakes are quite good. if you are used to a modern car then maybe you just need to get used to pressing the pedal harder.

a remote servo is easy to fit and makes a big difference only costing just over £100 for a kit.
[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x17/superchargedfool/DSCF0024-1.jpg[/img]

cool cars don't die they just get cooler as they get older!
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

what can be done to vastly improve them.
You could eat more spinach. :lol:

I found moving the seat closer helped a lot, it allowed me to press down on the pedal from above rather than push it forward.

Other than that they should be perfectly fine as standard.
What would Macgyver do..?
MinorMoments
Minor Friendly

Post by MinorMoments »

Hmmm, this is interesting. Maybe because I have jumped out of my Vauxhall and into this that they feel so non existant. I appreciate 40 plus years ago brakes were very different, but she feel like hse just wont stop.

What about disc brakes, would that help and is it possible?
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It would, and it is, but it'd cost :(
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Disc brakes without a servo are heavy to operate. because of this they can feel even worse than standard drums! assuming your standard set up is in good order it's just a matter of adapting to the different feel. once you get used to pushing harder you will realise the power is there - it's just your mind is telling you not to do it because you're used to a modern car. Just remember not to do it when you get back to the Vauxhall!
A servo doesn't make the brakes more powerful but does make it easier for many to access that power. It would be a good (safe) move to fit one if you are swapping between cars on a regular basis.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
rob.hardy1
Minor Fan

Post by rob.hardy1 »

I got my servo fitted soon after getting my minor due to non existant brakes. This, i have foud to be a majorly bad decision. The master cylinder was probably very much in need of renovation/replacement and that would have improved them alot.
The servo was fitted in a really bad position by the non minor friendly garage i used so now easy jobs are more difficult.
I drive a modern eurobox in the day , it is a very different car to my minor and i have to drive them very differently, not driving on the brakes but anticipating what i may come across as i travel the highways and byeways.
The brakes are more 100% efficient than they were but driving is 100% less FUN.
In conclusion, please learn from my mistakes, make fitting a servo the LAST thing you do.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

wow...thats a pretty neggers approach to the servo. my personal opinion was that the servo made a difference. my dads minor has standard 7" drums with a servo, and before i did all my brake mods i just had 7" with no servo. the difference was more than noticeable. i agree with pete that it doesnt make it more powerful, it just makes it seem more responsive, therefore making it a more comfortable drive. depends what you want though!
Willie
Minor Legend

brakes

Post by Willie »

Yess, if you are continually swopping between a modern car and the Minor the difference is always very clear. If you drive defensively,i.e.
always try to leave enough space for emergency braking and always use the gear downshift to slow you on hills etc you will avoid the big drawback of the drum brakes which is 'fade'. If you fit servoed disc brakes you will not get the fade and you will need a lot less pressure to stop too. If you servo the DRUM brakes you will need a lot less pressure but you will probably suffer even more fade.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
rob.hardy1
Minor Fan

Post by rob.hardy1 »

Please dont mis understand, the servo works very well, my wife wouldnt be able to drive the minor without it ( in comparison to before) but i would have, given my time over again, done loads of things to improve the brakes before i put the servo on.
callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

yes absolutely agree with you with that one Mr Hardy...note my posts about my master cylinder! nightmares! haha!
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

The brakes were terrible on my Minor.
New wheel cylinders, master cylinder and shoes made no difference.
In the end I fitted new front drums and for some reason the improvement is amazing despite the old ones looking good and not scored ( I think they had been skimmed in the past).

Paul Humphries
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Complete brake overhaul is the way to go - servo is NOT easy to install on a Minor because of the master cylinder position - and won't improve faulty brakes. It just reduces the pedal load. Your brakes should be able to lock all 4 wheels on a dry road. If they don't - then try for a 'free' brake check at Kwakfut or similar - but don't let them con you into doing the rapairs - unless you have won the Lottery! Complete set of new cylinders and shoes front and rear costs very little (compared to modern cars) - and should give you good working brakes.
ImageImage
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

dunketh wrote: I found moving the seat closer helped a lot, it allowed me to press down on the pedal from above rather than push it forward.
Why adjust the shoes when you can adjust the seat in much less time..? :lol:

The drum brakes have far too many adjusters and cylinders, which all have to be kept in good condition to get the best out the brakes. So long as they are kept up to scratch then the brakes will be more than adequate - But let one part of the system go out of whack and the whole lot will be pants.

A servo is no substitute for proper maintenance! I do think discs are the way to go unless you enjoy grovelling around with a screwdriver waving it in dark holes hoping to find the magic spots on the snails all too often. Not because they offer magically better braking, but simply because upkeep is visual inspection and a new set of pads every few thousand miles. I'm really hoping to somehow get some Midget J brackets made up for mine, as jumping out the Minor into Midget really shows how dependable and low maintenance front discs are - This is after spending a day trying to get the drums fully adjusted up and confidence inspiring...
moggiesgalore
Minor Friendly

Post by moggiesgalore »

I have just finished my '59 convertible and always found the brakes to be hard work. I transplanted the 8" front brakes from my '69 saloon about 10 years ago after fitting that one with Marina discs and a servo (that car really stops!)

Despite doing this I always found the convertible brakes to be in need of a very heavy right foot. Last week as the final job I fitted all new cylinders, shoes and drums and now the car feels tons better!

They are not properly bedded in yet, but there is already considerably more stopping power. Given that I have a friend driving it for my wedding in two days time (who is only used to modern cars) I thought I had better play safe!! :D