ALTERNATIVE MASTER CYLINDER FITMENT

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
linearaudio

ALTERNATIVE MASTER CYLINDER FITMENT

Post by linearaudio »

THE(PATTERN) MASTER CYLINDER ON MY TRAVELLER IS LEAKING FLUID AND AS THE PRESSURE NEEDED TO RETARD THE OLD GIRL IS OF THE KNUCKLE-WHITENING LEVEL, I HAVE BEEN PONDERING A SERVO SET-UP, BASED ON MARINA DISCS. I HAVE A VERY USEFUL LOCAL BREAKERS YARD WITH SEVERAL MARINAS IN IT, AND WHILST BROWSING AROUND THE OTHER DAY, I NOTICED A PEUGEOT 205 SITTING IN THE SAME LINE AS A MINOR. THIS HAS A SWEET LOOKING SERVO/MASTER CYLINDER ATTACHED TO THE BULKHEAD BY A PLATE AND SCREWS. NOW IF I WERE TO CUT A HOLE IN THE MINOR BULKHEAD, ADAPT AS NECCESSARY AND RE-PIPE TO DUAL-CICUIT, WOULD I BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK? IN MY SIMPLE WAY OF LOOKING AT IT IF THE CYLINDER WAS OF SIMILAR BORE AND THE LEVER RATIOS WERE OF THE SAME ORDER, THEN I WOULD HOPE TO BE SOMEWHERE IN THE RIGHT AREA, BUT I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS!!
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

where are you going to fit the brake pedal :-? :-?
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

I'LL THINK OF SOMETHING! I AM SURE I CAN ADAPT THE PEUGEOT MOUNTING TO SUIT WITH SOME HEFTY CHUNKS OF STEEL AS NEEDED-LOOKS SIMILAR POSITION ie JUST TO RIGHT OF STEERING COLUMN. WHAT ATTRACTS ME IS THE BULKHEAD ANGLE IS VERY SIMILAR, ALSO, NOT HAVING A FRESH AIR HEATER MEANS I HAVE A LARGE EXPANSE OF FAIRLY UNCLUTTERED BULKHEAD TO WORK WITH, JUST HAVE TO TRIM THE BACK OFF THE PARCEL SHELF. IT'S THE ACTUAL HYDRAULIC PRINCIPALS WHICH I NEED TO DO THE MATHS WITH ( I REMEMBER SOME OF MY p=iv STUFF FROM HNC DAYS GONE BY). I'M SURE SOMEONE MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE, BUT I'M A BIT NEW TO THE MINOR"SCENE". THE MERE THOUGHT OF DUAL CIRCUIT BRAKES IS APPEALING!
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

might be worth trying to compare repair kits as that will help with the diameters, then to change the travel an adjustable link like the useful.

P.s. could you press the caps lock key please, its wuite hard to read as it is :)
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I know! All this shouting is giving me a headache :P
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

SORRY-i mean sorry-is that a bit quieter!! Not very well up on this computer stuff!
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

Ahhh not to worry, noone had told you so we cant be nasty, back to the original question, Dual brakes would definatly be an asset but it depends on how much your driving and how your driving to decide if it warrents the work. It might be worth getting the system in tip top condition and then reassesing the brakes.
would it be possible to extend the rod on the brake pedal and then fit 2 master cylinders either side of the chassis leg (reenforced) the problem with this is future servo upgrates.
To use a bulkhead mounted servo you may have to fit a top pivot brake pedal to get all teh angles right.
- Ash
Image Image Image
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It has been done before. As stated, the usual answer is to fit a pedal box from the donor car, reinforcing the bulkhead where necessary. I've pondered the 'two Mog M/Cs' thing myself, and come to the conclusion that it's just too risky to DIY. One of these days I WILL fit a dual circuit system...
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Another approach that one of our memebers has done is to mount the master cylinder on top of the chassis leg in the engine bay. The standard pedal can be use but flip the clevis around and fabricate a linkage that goes forward through the chassis leg to another pivot point that rotates a lever in order to push the new master cylinder piston. You can use any master cylinder and it would be the last time you would have to work inside the chassis leg. Probably works even better on RHD Minors since the exhaust is on the other side.
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

Eh, not sure about the exaust thing there, if you mean relevent to the driver, then yes but the exaust is always on the same side as the engine stays the same :)
- Ash
Image Image Image
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

He means that on LHD cars there is less room to put the master cylinder on the driver's side engine bay floor because the exhaust is in the way.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

I see what you mean about flipping clevis links around etc, but think it may be more straightforward to use the Peugeot pedal/mounting/pedalbox assembly. Hopefully the lever ratios might not be too far out "as grafted". Thanks for all the useful comments, I was half expecting a load of "don't-go-theres"! I'll get to the 205 when I've got some petrol in the strimmer this week (the nettles are a bit lively and its definitely a get it yourself breakers yard!)
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Bear in mind you'll have to tell your insurance company about the modification. Might be worth sounding them out about the idea before going too far with it.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I have seen the Marina ones fitted but not a Peugeot one.
As a matter of interest where is this breakers as you havent filled in your location in your profile.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Sible Hedingham, North Essex. A dream for oldies-its like stepping back into a yard in the 70's- most of the cars are leyland, minis MGBs,Rovers(old) etc. Oh and Peugeot 205s!!