Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
XDB
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

cutting a manifold in half

Post by XDB »

My minor is running a treat after I chucked the wrong head off, I have seen somewhere that a small power increase is possible by separating the inlet manifold from the exhaust. Is it straight forward to cut the existing manifold or am I better getting a second one and hack the two parts I don't want from each one. Any thoughts please.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

If you cut one up then bolt the separate parts on, they will only be parted by a saw cut. I think the idea is to cut it keeping the bulk of metal on the exhaust, throw the inlet and fit an alloy manifold, or the other way round
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Thanks Les, that makes sense.
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Thanks Les, that makes sense.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

In my experience it was impossible to separate the two manifolds with one cut. The inlet came off in 3, if not 4 pieces. It's doubtful if you are going to end up with an efficient gap if you did cut up two cast units and as a noticable amount of power can be achieved with an alloy inlet you'd be wise to buy one. I just don't know if you can get one for a 1 1/4 carb.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
rein
Minor Friendly

Post by rein »

After separating the inlet from the exhaust I found it difficult (not impossible) to align the inlet manifold.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Peetee wrote:In my experience it was impossible to separate the two manifolds with one cut. The inlet came off in 3, if not 4 pieces.
I almost managed it - the hacksaw blade only just broke through into the inlet. I patched it up with a bit of brass and some "chemical metal" epoxy and it's still running like that many thousands of miles later!
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

It's a job (if you're keeping the exhaust side, at any rate) that can be done with an angle grinder, though you have to sacrifice the inlet to give room
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The alloy inlet from an MG Metro is the way to go - a simple adapter plate would be needed to fit a standard 1 1/4" SU - but a slightly larger (and much better) HIF 38will bolt straight on.
Although eliminating the hot spot does help power - it may not be the best idea if you want the very best economy!
ImageImage
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Why not go the full hog and split the manifolds, and then fit an EGR valve :D
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/Ghostrider117/sig.jpg[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/moggytech
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Peetee wrote:I just don't know if you can get one for a 1 1/4 carb.
You can - I've got one :)

It's actually a 1.5", but has threaded holes for the usual 2 diagonal/ 4 normal studs, and also the two vertical ones (with the right sized holes for the HS2 size studs). Chances are it could be filed out to go to 1.75" as well if so desired.

I'm using it on my Midget with a HIF38 as it's a little better angled for the carb to clear the bonnet (although it still fouls a little) compared to a Metro one. Why anyone would go to the trouble of chopping around and swapping manifolds to keep the strangling HS2 carb I don't know - I agree get a Metro one (or any of the aftermarket ones) and stick a HIF38 on there. Or at least drop an HS4 on, given HIF38s can be a bit tricky to source.
wanderinstar
Minor Addict

Post by wanderinstar »

In my ignorance. What is an EGR valve??
[sig]2052[/sig]Ian.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Exhaust gas recirculation - but I can't see the logic in MT's answer here! It's a sure-fire power sapper - used to cheat early cars through the emissions regs.
ImageImage