Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
d_harris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Help More Bushes!

Post by d_harris »

Still trying to get the bushes done at the front end.....

Got the eyebolt bushes that I'm trying to do and I cannot work out for the life of me how to do them, short of removing the torsion bar.

This all refers to drivers side, I have the joy of the passenger side still to do...

I've removed the bottom arm from the trunnion (the front part is completely removed and the back is still on the torsion bar) Now, from what it seems the bushes are in the eyebolt itself which appears to be bolted through the chassis leg (it seems like the nut on the other end is some weird size

Is there anyway I can get this done without pulling the torsion bar out?

HELP!

I'm about to go and make some lunch and consider my options. Hopefully someone will be able to help in the meantime!

Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

You should be able to tap the rear arm back along the splines on the torsion bar so it clears the eyebolt and pin with a bit of gentle bending. Then the pin and bushes can be wriggled/prised/hammered out -backwards I think, it's been a while since I did it. The eyebolt stays put.
Either mark the arm and torsion bar or measure the height off the ground of the outer end of the arm before you tap it back as if it goes back far enough it comes off the splines.
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

if it has seized on the splins use plenty of penetrating oil & leave for a few hours or overnight to soak in then persuade it with the tapping stick
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If lucky - that pin should come loose from the torsion bar - but it would be wise to remove the eye-bolt anyway and carefully inspect the chassis leg for any cracking, and to rust treat/inject cavity wax. The eye bolt may also be badly worn if it's been running with NO bushes for a while !
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

best to remove the torsion bar anyway...
When it's off you can apply penetrating oil and big hammer to make sure the arms are free to move on the splines. If they are rusted solid, they might not be well lined up for the bushes and that can cause premature bush failure (front or rear eyebolt bush flange will get overloaded)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Not to mention the cupped washer that is pressed into the rear leg. I too work the front of the torsion bar because the arm at the cross member is usually well rusted on. However, this cupped washer that is bolted to the fulcrum pin can be very stubborn with just the use of a hammer. It really is intended to be pressed in, which is why the official method is working at the cross member end.
For disassembly you need to hit the rear leg very hard and square to break this washer loose.