Alternative Traveller springs?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
linearaudio

Alternative Traveller springs?

Post by linearaudio »

As I appear to be getting no where fast in my quest for a set of new Traveller rear springs that work, I have been drifting sideways a bit in my thoughts!
One idea was to go for pick up/van springs, could these be adapted to fit? What is the difference in mounting to the chassis?
Another long shot was a set of Marina estate springs. These look interesting as they are a two leaf tapered affair which may possibly give a more supple ride? The problem I can see is the width being 1/4" more. This I could sort easily enough at the shackle end, but it would be a bit more challenging to expand the front hangers to accept the extra width!

Any thoughts out there?

I can't keep extending the shackles for my existing springs, they are 2" over length now and the springs are looking a bit flat, the ride height is also steadily dropping again! :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Send the springs back - they have obviously not been properly 'heat treated' - and are going into yield - they will sag for ever.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

The problem I can see is the width being 1/4" more. This I could sort easily enough at the shackle end, but it would be a bit more challenging to expand the front hangers to accept the extra width!
Angle grinder?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Lot's of ways they may NOT fit - have you compared ALL the dimensions ? As Steve points out - easy to narrow them at the front mounting! But an interesting idea if they can be fitted ?
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Re: Alternative Traveller springs?

Post by bigginger »

linearaudio wrote: One idea was to go for pick up/van springs, could these be adapted to fit? What is the difference in mounting to the chassis?
Mounting @ the front completely different. 'Eye' in spring different size, mounted to a steel rod projecting from chassis. Ray assures me it's possible - I wouldn't. The van springs also give a VERY unforgiving ride - most remove leaves anywy. My opinion? A hell of a lot more bother than benefit.
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

bmcecosse wrote:Lot's of ways they may NOT fit - have you compared ALL the dimensions ? As Steve points out - easy to narrow them at the front mounting! But an interesting idea if they can be fitted ?
I hadn't thought of slimming the spring end down, but it would be better than modifying the spring hangers!! Principle dimensions look good, I may whip one off to check the "set" next to one of my ever-increasing selection of weak springs! The idea of the more modern tapered leaf appeals as I imagine it could give a more progressive/supple ride?

I agree with the sentiment re sending the weak springs back, but that doesn't get me a set which work. The supplier is also keen to sort this and the last set he sent were of a different construction. These had no effective clamping of the leaves, rattled, and were immediately worse on fitting than the previous ones!! As you may imagine, I have lost confidence in finding a decent new set of springs, hence my quest for alternative solutions!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Get your money back - and source a set of second-hand springs meantime. The Marina idea looks interesting - can you put up the various dimensions when you find them out, please ?
ImageImage