Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richardthefish
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brakes Problem

Post by Richardthefish »

After the last snow the righthand front brake cylinders started leaking fluid and the car pulled to the left when braking. I order two new brake cylinders and simply changed over the pistons as the barrels felt fine. This solved the problem until the car started pulling to the right now when braking.

As a result I did the same on the left front as there was evidence of some brakefluid (minor). I have since bled the whole system (front and back) All the shoes and drums seem fine and inspection of the pipes/hoses shows no apparent damage. However, she still pulls to the right when braking. Should I slacken off the right front to match the front?

Any ideas on the sdark art of setting brakes would be very helpful for the novice that I am!

Thanks,

Richard the Fish
kittyfell
Minor Fan

Re: Brakes Problem

Post by kittyfell »

Did you fit new shoes when swapping the pistons ? I have to say - that is most unorthodox - swapping pistons without changing the complete cylinder - i'm not surprised you are having problems.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

For the cost of wheel cylinders it is not worth swapping pistons around.
Remove one front drum at a time, push the brake pedal and check that each wheel cylinder is expanding and retracting fully. Make sure that the return springs are in the correct positions. Replace the drums and pump the brake pedal a couple of times to centre the shoes before carefully adjusting them.When they are adjusted as far as possible without rubbing, pump the pedal again and make sure that the drums are still turning freely when the pedal is released.
Whilst the front wheels are off, grease the front suspension.
[sig]3580[/sig]
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

The likely reasons that brake cylinders leak are (in order of occurence):
1. The rubber seals are perished.
2. The inside of the cylinders are corroded which has caused the rubber seals to wear.
If the inside of the cylinders are not corroded then it should be possible just to replace the seals
ESM have a kit: Front Brake Cylinder Repair Kit (15/16" Lockheed Cylinders) FBK107 £1.75
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Adjusting the brakes makes no difference to how they 'pull'. If you have had brake fluid on the shoes then they are scarp (although if only a little they can be 'rescued') and syou should fit new. I honestly suggest you should remove the leaky cylinders and fit the new ones - with the new pistons that came with them - probably now with new seals. It's really really NOT worth taking chances/shortcuts with brakes!!
ImageImage