Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ade261
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Trouble bleeding brakes

Post by ade261 »

Can anyone point me in right direction? Have just rebuilt the brakes on my 2door project. New front cylinders, new link pipes (backplate cylinder to cylinder) new flexies, shoes. Axle brake pipes, rear cylinders, shoes. New rear drums, even new retaining screws.
released all the nipples, let gravity take fluid take its course, tried to bleed system cannot get a pedal. tried flushing new fluid. tried normal bleeding, still cannot get a pedal.

Has got a servo fitted. not touched that. brakes worked before albeit with 3 siezed cylinders. Any ideas would be greatfully accepted. cheer
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Trouble bleeding brakes

Post by aupickup »

is the servo ok

have you checked for leaks any where also check master cylinder
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

You seem to have put in a lot of work and effort to get where you are now. It's horrible when it doesn't work!

Like AU says, are you positively positively positively sure there isn't a new joint you have created, leaking? I was always conscious of using a new copper washer if I had to take something apart. I had problems initially with the thread into the new brake cylinders... they leaked and drew air, get your finger and wipe around the joins to see if there is any residue. Also my master cylinder wasn't up to much even after a home rebuild so I bought a new one and that cured my problem.

Unfortunately mine is the basic system and hasn't got a servo, so sorry can't help on that one. Good luck though! :D

Ade... is it still the same moggy?

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=23750
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

ade261
Minor Friendly

Post by ade261 »

No original was a four door that after replacing floor inner wing and hinge panel got stolen. not heard hide or hair since.

No leaks from any unions. master cylinder seems to spit fluid out of the top if cap left off when pedal depressed.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Ade
As the Servo will be higher than the rest of the hydraulics in the system, try loosening the pipe union at the
Servo ( just a little, enough for air to escape )....plenty of rag/ paper to catch any brake fluid.Have your mate exert some pressure on the pedal.Fingers crossed...should do the trick.

Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Personally - I would throw the servo away, more trouble than it's worth. As others have pointed out - it will be higher than anything else, so gravity bleeding is unlikely to work for you. However if you do keep it - you should have the engine running while bleeding to let the servo operate. Start at the rear - when clear fluid with no bubbles, move to the front. Fountain from the master is normal.
ImageImage
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Is the servo mounted on a tie plate or the bulkhead? They can make bleeding a nightmare if they've been mounted on the bulkhead because it causes a high point as others have stated.
ade261
Minor Friendly

Post by ade261 »

HELP now at breaking point!! Fitted new master cylinder today, spent an hour trying to bleed with easibleed, no joy, tried normal bleeding no joy. Must have run a litre of fluid through. No bubbles at an wheel. cannot work it out. If anyone can succeed will provide lunch and liquid at camera pub of the year 2003 (next door but 3) am ion stockport. please help if you can,
Leo
Minor Fan

Post by Leo »

May sound silly question but have you adjusted the brakes fully then turned back one click only, assuming they are drums all round.
It could be the servo.
You can quite easily make up temporary pipework to bypass the servo, if this gives you a hard pedal then the servo is at fault.
I would agree with others , throw that remote servo away, they are more trouble than they are worth, even if you get the system working you still face the possibility of servo problems in the future such as locked up brakes and fluid loss
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

One thing I found to help with a particularly stubborn vehicle was to pressurise the system with the Eezibleed, then open the first bleed nipple, get an assistant to stomp down as hard as they can on the brake pedal, close the bleed nipple, then let the pedal back up VERY slowly and gently. Do this several times at each corner in turn (nsr, osr, nsf, osf). Repeat until you get a hard pedal. The stomping helps to dislodge airlocks (particularly inside the servo), and the gentle raising of the pedal combined with the pressure from the Eezibleed avoids air being drawn in through the master cylinder seals.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.