Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Has My Head Gasket Gone?

Post by puchmaxikid »

Hi all,
Recently i have just fitted a 1300 marina engine and have done a number of miles in it. it is fitted with ally rocker cover and 3 branch manifold and twin 1" 1/4 su. The past few times i have been out in it i have had like mulsh of white/brown slush at the top of my oil filler cap. I went up to hampshire friday in it and had no problems what so ever and felt no lack of power or saw no visual smoke. When back at home checking car over and there is a slush inside the oil filler cap and sitting inside the rocker cover it was there but there was nothing up the side of the dipstick and no visual loss of water and no sign of oil in the water. Has my head gasket gone? or am i missing something?
Any help would be great :D
Loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Has My Head Gasket Gone?

Post by MarkyB »

Do you have a temperature gauge fitted?
Did you clean off the oil cap before the trip?
I assume that Hampshire is a fair way away, and the engine should have got up to full working temperature.

It could be that it is running too cold, maybe due to a stuck/missing thermostat.
That seems the most likely, but a lack of crankcase ventilation might be an issue too.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Loz
Doesn't sound like a head gasket with no loss of power or water.
Was the oil in the replacement engine changed when you put it in ? It could be that the moisture in the oil has burnt off creating the sludge/ mayonaise in the oil cap and rocker box.
Clean off again and use an engine flush ( there are differing opinions on doing this with an older engine ) and change the oil filter and oil at the very least.

Bob
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

MarkyB wrote:Do you have a temperature gauge fitted?
Did you clean off the oil cap before the trip?
I assume that Hampshire is a fair way away, and the engine should have got up to full working temperature.

It could be that it is running too cold, maybe due to a stuck/missing thermostat.
That seems the most likely, but a lack of crankcase ventilation might be an issue too.
Hi im not too sure if my temperture gauge is working but i do have one and it does read low
and yes i did clean the oil cap before the trip
yes it is about 125miles there and back

i did have trouble will the thermostat so took it out (as i needed the car) but i would have thought over 125 miles it would have warmed up
i do have a crankcase ventilation and it seems to be okay.

Thanks for your reply, loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

mogbob wrote:Loz
Doesn't sound like a head gasket with no loss of power or water.
Was the oil in the replacement engine changed when you put it in ? It could be that the moisture in the oil has burnt off creating the sludge/ mayonaise in the oil cap and rocker box.
Clean off again and use an engine flush ( there are differing opinions on doing this with an older engine ) and change the oil filter and oil at the very least.

Bob
yes i put a cheap oil and new filter on it and ran it for a very short while, than changed the oil for halfords classic oil and new filter
i never tried engine flush as i had herd storys as you say.

Thankyou for the help, Loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
kittyfell
Minor Fan

Post by kittyfell »

You should never run with NO thermostat because the water then doesn't circulate properly, and yes it will run horribly cold. The muck is simply due to cold running and poor crankcase ventilation. Sort them both out and all will be well.

puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

kittyfell wrote:You should never run with NO thermostat because the water then doesn't circulate properly, and yes it will run horribly cold. The muck is simply due to cold running and poor crankcase ventilation. Sort them both out and all will be well.
Thanks for the reply.
do you know what temperture thermostat i should get for the maina?
and when you say poor crankcase ventilation i have put a like mini air filter breether on the top would that do? as im not sure where it would run standerd.
Thanks again loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Does the ally rocker cover have a breather pipe?
Have a look at the old cover and see what that had.
There was probably a pipe between the old cover and the old air cleaner, you need to recreate this set up to get proper crankcase ventilation.

Just go to your local motor factor as ask for a Marina thermostat, IF they offer you a choice I'd say go for the hotter one, but which ever one you get it will be better than nothing.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
kittyfell
Minor Fan

Post by kittyfell »

If you want a good heater then go for an 88 stat. The daft little 'breather filter' is useless, this where your problem is coming from. You MUST connect a breather directly to the carb inlet (brass tube on side) so the air sucks the fumes out of the crankcase. best to get a proper rocker cover with breather pipe, and connect that to the carb. 1275 engine needs ALL the breathing it can get to prevent oil leaks and 'mayo' forming.

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have rocker covers with breathers for sale, not chrome and will need cleaning and painting
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

Thank you for all the replys
With my twin 1" 1/4 i have on there at the mo they dont have that brass breather on side, but i have just bought (today) a
1" 3/4 carb and manifold so hope to fit that soon with correct breather fitted
The ally rocker cover i have does not have a breather on it but neather did the original, but i do have a 948 one witch has the breather so i might think about fitting that one.
And i will definitely sort out thermostat!
Thanks again Loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That big carb will be MUCH better than the daft wee twins! And yes - USE that rocker cover with the breather connection.
ImageImage
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

bmcecosse wrote:That big carb will be MUCH better than the daft wee twins! And yes - USE that rocker cover with the breather connection.
The only thing that i dont understand is that the 1300 marina does not have a standerd breaher conection?

loz
[sig]7945[/sig]
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

i has a oil leak as soon as i put a hose going from the brass connection on the side of the carb to the breather on the front of the engine it stoped i sont have a breather on the rocker cover
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Up to you - but I strongly recommend ALL the breathing you can give it if you don't want oil leaks and mayo.
ImageImage
puchmaxikid
Minor Friendly

Post by puchmaxikid »

Thanks for all the great advice :D , will hopefully get it sorted this week!

Loz
[sig]7945[/sig]