Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Brake upgrade quick question

Post by Sidney'61 »

I'm rebuilding the brakes on my '61 948 so buying new shoes and possibly new drums, should I buy 8" drums/shoes/backplates instead of the standard 7"? Would it be a straight swap? How much difference would it make?
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Brake upgrade quick question

Post by PSL184 »

My Blue Trav is still on 7" fronts and it stops fine - Your choice Andy and I'm sure you'll get much more advice :wink: :lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

If your staying standard 948cc its not worth changing IMO!! As long as everything is working properly its just as good as the bigger brakes.

Is Sidney going to be ready for the road soon then??

Too many Minors so little time.....
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks guys I'll just replace the shoes on the 7" drums then.
Hopefully Sidney will be on the road sometime in the summer (however I said that last year :roll: ) theres not much work to do now but I'm very rarely at home to do it!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 8" brakes are VERY much better - but not as good as 9" W drums of course! I urge you to fit at least the larger 8" drums. Should be able to source them second hand ok. The original 7" front drums really are pretty desperate.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I agree that the 7s are adequet but when I changed mine to 8 s the difference was considerable, much less pedal effort to get a strong braking responce,I fitted mine since I tow a small trailor,used second hand backing plates to keep the cost down.Best upgrade I have done,gives a lot more confidence,my wife wouldn't drive it before cos she said she wasn't strong enough to press on the pedal now she drives it ,when there no petrol in her mondeo :evil: ( D Maybe I should have left it as it was :D )If you can get decent back plates and drums secondhand and the bigger snail adjusters then the cost is about the same ,slightly more work,but massive,gains in braking efficiency.You're up early BM thought I was the only insomniac on the forum :D :D
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Likewise re the bigger brakes! The 7" drums may well stop you well enough lightly loaded, it's when you get a full compliment of passengers that you may feel the desire for a bigger anchor.

Here goes: swapping from the boy's 1100 with disc brakes back to my Traveller with 9 inch "big W" brakes I noticed how much better the drum brakes are than discs :-? Maybe just the compressed card disc pads that aren't up to much, but give me drums any day.(prod prod!) :lol:
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

7" drums are OK provided you keep everything in tip top condition and don't drive too close to the car in front.
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Who mentioned brakes? :o

You know when they're mentioned you never get a straght answer, it's one topic opinions are very much divided on.

You know what you did Andy...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Lol sorry Matt.

Thanks for the responses everybody, I've already ordered 7" shoes now so I'll fit them and see how it goes.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Keep at least 100 yds clear in front of you at all times........ :roll:
And yes kennatt - day at the railway means earlyish start - although when Firing I leave the house at 5am!!
ImageImage