'Clonking noise' When i turned the steering...

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

'Clonking noise' When i turned the steering...

Post by Grant Carter »

Hi this is my first post as I am a new member of the club, only 17 years old. I have been looking for a Morris Minor Traveller for a while now as my first car. I have recently found one in my area and took went in the car when my dad took it out for a test run. It runs really well however the time chain rattles but this is easily fixed I believe but the more pressing issue is that when the steering wheel is turned past a certain point, in either direction, it makes a 'clunk' noise. I'm unsure whether it could be the joints are loose and need tightening so i turn to the more experienced.....HELP?

Cheers

Grant Carter :D
Grant Carter, 18 and owns Merlin 'the magic' Morris Minor :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: 'Clonking noise' When i turned the steering...

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the Forum - and to Minor ownership. When the steering rack hits the end stops - it will 'clunk' - is that what you are hearing ?? If not the end stops - could be loose rack mounts or loose steering column pinch bolt at the base of the column - where it clamps to the serrated spindle sticking through the floor from the rack. Could also just be worn track rods or track rod ends - or worn trunnions on the king pins!! But don't worry - all very easily and cheaply sorted. The important thing to check for on the car is RUST !!!!!!! And - make sure it has a nice new MOT certificate.
ImageImage
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grant Carter »

Hey bmcecosse thank you for the tips! Have now finally purchased it and it is all fine after an early M.O.T. 'Merlin' runs beautifully and is now sitting happily on my drive, soon to be under a garage which I am yet to build. Will upload some pictures soon! :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - happy motoring.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Did you cure the clonking?
I would still check the top and bottom trunnions as some testers do not seem to know how to check them
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Now you have the car - get stuck in and give it a full service and check over. And grease the nipples!
ImageImage
Grant Carter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grant Carter »

The M.O.T was a real "old boy" that is an expert in all things morris :D so he has 'cure'd' the clonking noise. Am now starting to relieve the back bumper of a horrible coat of black paint to reveal the lovely chrome hidden underneath. Next job will be an oil change and then i will grease all the nipples on it :lol: .
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Have to ask - how did he 'cure' the clunking ?
ImageImage
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Boy, I wish Roy (RIP) had gotten an answer to his question. I'm getting the clunking when the rack goes to full travel (bottoms out.) It happens both directions. Doesn't seem to have any means to cushion the stop. Is there anything can be done? New rack?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

My suggestions as to the fault are:-

1. When the rack is fully extended (either way) the support for the actual rack is greatly reduced and greater loading/leverage is put on the rack which will overcome the spring supported cups which bear down on the rack to stop it rattling.
To overcome the rattling I would suggest that the shim(s) under the spring cap(s) are adjusted to give more pressure onto the actual rack.

2. The ball joints at the end of the actual rack are worn allowing the ball inner end of the track rod to move about. To cure the rattling adjust the shims.

I had a worn O/S ball end to the track rod on my Minor and it would rattle at full right lock. To cure the rattle I took a good track rod off a spare rack and fitted it to my existing steering rack and adjusted the ball joint preload to suit. The rack does not have to be removed to adjust the track rod ball/cup but it is easier if the rack is off the car when doing both of the above jobs.

If neither of the above cure the rattle a new rack will be the order of the day.

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Thanks, Phil, but......
It's not a rattle typical of a loose rack. It's definitely a banging when the rack goes full travel and hits the housing. I observed it after removing the gaiter. In the parts diagram, I don't see anything to cushion the impact. Would a new rack have anything to do so?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The ball end of the track rod will hit the end of the rack housing when the steering is on full lock. There is no cushion between the two - it is just metal to metal contact. What you are seeing and hearing is normal. A new steering rack will be and do exactly the same.

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Thank You. It's a rare but annoying noise I'll have to get used t o.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don’t know if, it fact, I’ve ever used full lock, I’ve certainly not heard a clonking noise. If there is metal to metal contact in this situation, and considered normal, I would think entering full lock with a more gentle touch would be the answer, rather that perhaps turning the steering wheel at speed until it comes to a sudden stop. Excuse my suggestion if you’re not doing the latter !

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

It happens when I back out of the driveway. In reverse the wheels tend to take it to full lock.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Are you sure that there is no play in the rack ball joints as Phil has suggested above? To test this you need to jack a front wheel, secure with an axle stand and test for play by pulling and pushing the front and rear of the wheel (not the top and bottom)

Quote:
2. The ball joints at the end of the actual rack are worn allowing the ball inner end of the track rod to move about. To cure the rattling adjust the shims.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the steering is worn the caster will turn the wheels to full lock when going in reverse. The caster when going forward pushes the wheels to the straight ahead position.
There has to be enough resistance to stop the caster effecting the steering when in moving in reverse. Hold onto the steering wheel to stop the rack hitting the rack body with a bang.
If you have a tea trolley - try pushing it in reverse and the wheels of the trolley will spin around to give positive caster. Caster has exactly the same effect on the Minor rack/steering.

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

It's definitely the caster effect in reverse. There's no play or slop in the steering at the steering wheel or front wheels.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

David
If there is no play or anything obviously wrong you are then left with looking for a problem that is not there.
As I said above there is no cushion between the ball end of the track rod and rack body, just metal to metal contact. To confirm I have looked at my spare rack and there is nothing there. I have also looked at my BMC parts list which does not show any means of cushioning the contact between the ball housing of the track rod and rack body. You yourself have looked at the spare parts list and found the same.

I would advise that you put it all back together and enjoy driving the car.

Phil

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Thanks. Like most of MY ailments, all in my head.