Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

water temp gauge

Post by win »

I am trying to fit a water temp gauge, when conected and the engine temp is 80c the gauge only moves a small amount, at 90c it does not move much more. When the sender cable is connected to earth the gauge shows hot.
At 20c the sender reads 1000 ohms, at 80c 70 ohms.
All the readings are the same, if a voltage stabiliser is connected or not.
The output voltage from the stabiliser is ramping from 6 to 12 volts.
I am not sure exactley how it works, or what it does, other than the name implies.
As I have exceed the annual budget, smiths gauge £3 sender £2 both from auto jumbles, I am looking for help what more checks I can make, other than "check book" repairs.
Thanks for all the interesting reading and information I get from the forum, Win
South Yorkshire
PSL184
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: water temp gauge

Post by PSL184 »

The VS is a bimetallic strip that vibrates and therefore opens and closes which allows then prevents voltage flow. By doing this it reduces the output from battery voltage to around 10volts which is what is required to run the temp gauge. There are 3 types of sender unit and it depends which gauge you have to which sender is required. The early smiths gauges which had numbers on them, I think, requires a black sender (a coloured colar around the sender identifies the type - either black, red, yellow, blue)
So, first check - have you got correct sender?
Second, make sure your input to the gauge is through the stabiliser.
Third - earth the sender wire which you have already done.
I guess either 1 or 2 may help.....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above really - you should feed it through the stabiliser - which produces an 'average' voltage of ~10 - to the hot wire gauge. Does anyone know the resistance values of the different coloured sensors ?
ImageImage
Old Nick
Minor Friendly

Post by Old Nick »

Great answer PSL,Am fitting one at the moment along with a oil pressure gauge,And even i understood your explaination,A vibrating strip ! V clever ! All becomes clear now,and thanks for sensor info,Will save me no end of trouble !
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It doesn't exactly 'vibrate' - but it does switch on and off - giving the average output to a hot wire instrument of 10 volts. If a bulb was fitted - it would flash !
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

:roll: However it would flash so rapidly that you probably wouldn't notice, I guess? Must try it one day when I have nothing better to do :lol:

*** "Vibration" refers to mechanical oscillations about an equilibrium point.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

It is possible to make a stabiliser for less than £1 with the correct component from a well known supplier of electrical gizmos that begins with M and ends with N .It is called a Zennor diode and is very reliable. I looked for an alternative after a false gauge reading left me stranded in the middle of France, the outcome of which was €125 for a gallon of fuel. If you or anybody else are interested let me know.
[sig]6530[/sig]
win
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by win »

pm sent, thanks to all who passed on info.
South Yorkshire
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think you can just buy a simple electronic voltage stabiliser from Maplins ? No need to be shy about suppliers - unless being negative about them! And I agreee - any movement back and forth is a 'vibration' - but we would normally take that to be a fast movement and I think the bimetallic make/break of the voltage stabiliser will not be too 'rapid' - however I haven't tried the light bulb myself.
ImageImage
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

silloyd
Minor Fan

Post by silloyd »

There's a good guide to how to replace the voltage regulator with a solid state widget here: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/MGB-V ... ilizer.htm using the Maplins part noted on the other thread (N38CA).
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame] Voltage Stabiliser from Mini W/M
[sig]3580[/sig]