Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
webbnuts
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Slot or Peg drive?

Post by webbnuts »

Hi everybody.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1098 engine for my Traveller. I have ordered by mistake, a slot drive camshaft, but I've also ordered by mistake a slot drive oil pump. Will these two work together in my engine that originally had a peg drive oil pump?

Thanks in advance,

Webbnuts.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Slot or Peg drive?

Post by bmcecosse »

What cam have you ordered ?? MG Metro cam is THE one to use. If it's slot drive - yes you need a slot pump - but since it's a small bore engine you need the short drive pump, whereas 1275 engines need the long shaft version. So make sure you get the correct one. You may have to drill and tap one or more fixing holes for the pump in the block - and you may have to file the back of the pump to get the backplate to fit over - depends which model of pump you have.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
webbnuts
Minor Fan

Post by webbnuts »

Thanks bmcecosse. I'll check its the right oil pump when it arrives shortly.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why did you order a new cam ? Is it a performance upgrade ??
ImageImage
webbnuts
Minor Fan

Post by webbnuts »

Yes - I'm building an engine from scratch. Something I've always wanted to do. Renewing everything and building it with a performance increase in mind. got it stripped to component level at the moment, and now starting to accumilate all the bits I need to put it all back together again. The cam itself came from Minisport, and is basically the same as the MG Metro one.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ah right - just beware these aftermarket cams often have higher lift - so be sure to allow for that if fitting a large valve head. I assume you have new followers to go with it ?
ImageImage
webbnuts
Minor Fan

Post by webbnuts »

Thanks for the tips, I think this cam has the same lift but opens the valves longer. Will check with a vernier. Yes I have new followers, new rocker shaft pretty much never everything! Only thing I need now is big end and main bearings but need to wait until the crank gets back from being reground, oh and piston rings! Cheapest I can find them is 60 odd quid. Keep checking ebay but nothing yet!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would have thought you would get complete new pistons for that - may as well go for a rebore!
Edit : Bull Motif rings are £35 - and possibility of a discount off that too. :D But I see their pistons are £99... :cry:
ImageImage
webbnuts
Minor Fan

Post by webbnuts »

Funny you should mention that, There are some pistons on the bay with rings and clips for 80 quid and slightly dished. They are plus ten thou so might be a good opportunity to refresh the bores. How much should i expect to pay for a rebore roughly?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe £40 for the four ??
ImageImage