Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mixtboy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

gear lever noise

Post by mixtboy »

i have a 1098 morris van. it's a 1969 ex-BT van. i've got a horrible vibration induced rattle that becomes deafening in fourth at any speed over 50mph and it comes from the gear lever. if i apply a bit of pressure to the lever with my finger around it, the sound can be reduced or elimated, but obviously, i can't drive comfortably like that all day. what is making that noise and how can i stop it??! there is a lot of "play" in the stick itself, while in gear, in fourth... you can move the stick a fair bit from side to side. is there some bushing that should be in place that will keep it from rattling? any help most appreciated.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: gear lever noise

Post by bmcecosse »

If you look at a parts 'exploded' diagram - you will see there should be a plunger and spring to steady the lever, and an O ring/bush/spring under the lever. Check these are all present and correct - and smeared with grease.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=17075
MOSS sell some of these parts as an 'anti rattle' kit (item 131)
Of course - there may be problems in the drive train causing this excessive 'buzz' - so check the gearbox oil and the diff oil - and the prop shaft for worn/loose joints. Also the gearbox mounts - and is the restraining wire TIGHT ? It should be slightly slack....
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Re: gear lever noise

Post by Peetee »

First and simplest step would be to remove the rubber concertina at the base of the lever and check out the plate below. It should be held tight by three bolts and washers.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.