Loss of power, then stall... but then normal again?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mixtboy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Loss of power, then stall... but then normal again?

Post by mixtboy »

Hi all. Was driving in our '69 van 1098cc and i was in 4th and accelerating when it just sort of died... the power dropped to nil, and the car coasted to a stop. then it stalled. i restarted it... and when i put the accelerator down it died again, then stalled out. then i waited a few seconds... started it again, then revved it a bit... and it was fine. drove it 70 miles without a problem. what was this? sorry to sound like such a newbie but... i am! have only owned the vehicle for 3 weeks! was it dirt in the fuel line/carb? something sticking? any help diagnosing would be much appreciated!
thanks!
xpress
Minor Addict

Re: Loss of power, then stall... but then normal again?

Post by xpress »

did the fuel pump stop ticking? if so your contacts might need cleaning/replacing. failing that, there might be a blockage in the pump or the lines?! or it could be other things, wait a bit and i am sure others will follow!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

May have been ice forming in the carb - turn the intake so it draws air from the exhaust manifold. Partially blocking off the grille (or the rad - behind the grille) may help too. But don't overheat the engine. Otherwise - as above - it could be an intermittent fuel pump stoppage.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Possibly a dodgy condensor. I had the same problem last week on a dizzy from my box of spares. I changed the top plate complete with points and condensor and solved the problem
[sig]3580[/sig]