Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
d_harris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Choke Spring

Post by d_harris »

Choke Spring.

Having now nearly rebuilt the entire engine on Agatha it seems :roll: I've decided to have a go at the carb. Now, the rebuild went fairly smoothly (albeit with the odd sweary bit) BUT I stupidly didn't make a note of how the spring fits onto the choke.

Anyone care to explain, or post pics? :roll:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Choke Spring

Post by bmcecosse »

Which carb ?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There should be a small dangly bit with a hole in on the choke cable clamp and a bracket on the exhaust to manifold clamp
[sig]3580[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Dan,
If it's the HS2, you can see from the two photos below.
1) The spring attached to the carb.[frame]Image[/frame]
2) Hooks into the hole in the little bracket bolted to the manifold clamp (carb removed in photo). You can also see the adjustable bracket mod from the exhaust to the gearbox which stops the exhaust rattling against the aperture.[frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The spring that Declan is referring to is the throttle return spring.
The choke spring in so far as there is one, is wound around the shaft behind the bolt head on the left in the top picture.

The choke relies on the friction in the cable to keep in in the desired position.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bottom of the class for the first two there - Marky has it right, so 10/10 for him - for the HS2 anyway! If the earlier H2 then it's a short coil spring - in tension - links between the choke arm and a fixed bracket higher up also part of the choke mechanism. Sorry - I don't have a pic of it handy.
ImageImage
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

mike.perry wrote:There should be a small dangly bit with a hole in on the choke cable clamp and a bracket on the exhaust to manifold clamp
Sorry I should have read the question in more detail. The manifold bit threw me off.
Perhaps you can see it better here:
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Re: Choke Spring/ throttle spring

Post by niftyrodman »

Thanks for the clear pic Declan. May I ask. Is the lower spring anchor as it was standard on the Minors? And do you have a pic of the choke cable support bracket. I am restoring a Minor, and I have a longish cable support bracket, that fits on the exhaust manifold and I think that it is for the throttle, but Im at a loss about the choke, taking your point about choke return spring
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The choke cable outer sleeve fits into the brass housing directly above the choke lever on the carb as shown in Declan's photo.

The long bracket (either Pt Mo: ACA5123 or ACA5378) you mention is the Minor throttle cable bracket.

The Minor throttle bottom spring anchor is fitted to the exhaust clamp bolt.

There is no additional choke spring for the carb shown above only that which is fitted around the choke spindle.

The cable anchor/trunnion (Pt No: ACA5289) fitted to the carb choke lever as per picture above is incorrect as that anchor/trunnion is normally fitted on the Minor throttle cable bracket (Pt Nos: above) to allow articulation of the outer cable of the throttle.

The correct choke cable anchor (Pt No: AUE34) for the carb shown above fits through the choke lever and has the choke cable inner passing through it and is locked by the screw. AUE34 is held in place on one side of the choke lever by the inserted inner choke cable and the other side of the choke lever by the hexagon head.

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Oh, the brass tube. The penny just dropped. Maybe I was fooled by its vacuum-ish looks. Thanks indeed. And the throttle return spring anchor, well. Alex and his group never thought that one through. Functional,yes, but a bit un Minor. Its these "minor" things that catch one unawares,eg Left and Right handed S.Us, with left and right, long lever, springs, and, shaft actuating levers, opposite one another. A Rubicks cube, challenge.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

There is a round peg on the S U body near the choke actuating shaft. Now the spring goes from the loop on the body peg to the closest arm on the choke actuating shaft. It is easier to fit the spring first to the arm as you assemble and then with a small screwdriver the peg end of the spring can be levered around to its place on that peg. It is almost impossible to fit the peg end first I found. Hope this helps.