Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobinJ
Location: Hastings, East Sussex out of term, Plymouth in term
MMOC Member: No

marina brake with servo problems...

Post by RobinJ »

hi i had a remote servo fitted to my traveller over xmas, it worked fine with my drums, i recently aquired marina disk kit at reasonable sum and fitted it. it all seemed ok until i came to bleed the brakes, the back ones bled ok but both front ones have been a nightmare! i took it to a mechanic who said the servo should be in-line and where a bleed nipple on the back of the master cylinder is there should be a pipe to the rear brakes. when bleeding it looks like the system is in a loop on the front. we have pressure bled the system as well as normal method but still brakes on have pressure after a few pumps. any ideas?
shymoggie
Minor Fan

Post by shymoggie »

There should deffo be a pipe on the rear of the master cylinder (i assume u still have one under the pedal) which feeds the rear brakes, via a flexi over the back axle.

I have a marina caliper setup with remote servo... but I'm not certain how the fronts are fed.

If you don't get an answer on here, drop me a mail and I'll draw my system out for you : )
Ems & Jim

[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/SHYMOG1.jpg[/img]
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

I've done a number of these, no real problems at all, but have found that bleeding always takes more effort than you would expect. Do you want servo pressure on rear brakes as well as front? I would say YES, in which case there should NOT be a pipe from the rear of the master cyclinder to the rear brakes.

In the standard car the rear brakes were fed from the rear of the master cyclinder, but when using an all round servo we block off that feed using either (best of all) a proper banjo bolt for the master cyclinder, or (b) a bleed screw to block off the old pipe. A new single pipe exits from the side of the chassis leg and runs to the servo input. Servo output splits two ways (a) to existing front splitter and brake light switch and (b) to rear brakes.

Having servi on only front discs gives uneven pressure with greater load on front.

Persevere with bleeding - I once used 2.5 litres of fluid to get all the air out, and thought that I was going mad; but it's worth it in the end.
racer
Minor Fan

Post by racer »

The instructions for the servo I recently fitted said to bleedthe system the conventional way,plus thro' the unions,so that each length of pipe was sort of bled in turn. I had no probs.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

and where a bleed nipple on the back of the master cylinder is there should be a pipe to the rear brakes.
Why did you remove the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder in the 1st place when it was an inline servo ?
It might sound silly but has happened before have you fitted the calipers the right way round so that the bleed nipples are in the right position its not unknown for the nipples to be at the bottom instead of the top so proper bleeding is impossible.
Did you also remember to remove the small cup washer from the master cylinder as well otherwise you will have permanent drag on the brakes.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706