Clicking noise on my 63 traveller

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bopmachine
MMOC Member: No

Post by bopmachine »

Hello! I have recently begun to notice a clicking noise coming from the engine of my 63 traveller. At first I thought it might be the fan hitting something but that is not the case. It seems to come from where the water pump meets the engine. Is this a worn tappet? Also, is the tapet part of the engine or water pump? I have the shop manual, but it doesnt answer this question. Is there any way to be sure it is the water pump with out removing the raiator, etc.? Any help would be usefull!
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

The tappets are under the rocker cover which is on top of the engine. The water pump is at the front of the engine with a pulley and fan belt connected to it.

Try removing the fan belt.
If the noise stops then it is the water pump ( or possibly the dynamo).

Try using a large screwdriver as a stethoscope. Press the blade against the body of the water pump and press the handle against your ear. Any noise from the water pump should be transmitted up to your ear.

On top of the rocker cover is the filler cap where (I hope) you top up the engine oil. Taking off the filler cap should make any tappet noise louder.[ This Message was edited by: newagetraveller on 12-06-2002 11:25 ]
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sloopjohnrb »

It's just possible that you may have the same problem as I have-I've just posted it under the heading "Cable Car".

The speedo cable is said to make this constant clicking noise, and in my case the clicking sound is louder inside the car.

THis of course may be something you have already considered and rejected, I apologise if this is the case.
If not, perhaps you could read my posting, which may help.
Best wishes,
sloopjohnrb