Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Leaking cartridge filter body

Post by MikeNash »

Dear all, some advice please. I was just about to install my rebuilt 1098 (which has the older cartridge style filter) when I thought to change the cartridge and fill it with oil while the engine is on the bench. I've not had this sort of filter body before and to my surprise I've a persisent leak from the where the securing bolt goes thro' the body. I'm not certain I've assembled it properly and the picture in the BMC manual at page AAA.2 is not that good.
Would you please check my assembly? From the bolt head upwards, there's firstly a steel washer and then a fibre washer on which I've put jointing compound on both sides and then the body of the filter. Inside the filter there's firstly a spring and then another steel washer which has a soft black materail on its upper side. Above this is a "conical" plate on which sits the filter cartridge. The top of the "cone" is upward. The filter in turn is pressed against a further plate when the thro' bolt is tightened up. Finally there's black sealing ring around the edge of the filter body (No leak here, by the way.)
The filter cartridge is a Coopers-FIAMM FE3209/G714 sold to me as the correct item. Its 3 and 3/8 inches long and 2 and 3/4 inches diameter and I wonder if its too long 'cos it seems crushed lengthwise when I take it out.

I'm grateful for any comment and advice, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
rcharman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Leaking cartridge filter body

Post by rcharman »

Hi Mike

Does this help you?

[frame]Image[/frame]

Rod from Australia
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thanks Rod!
That definitely helps. I've not seen that picture before. Where's it from?

It seems I've got the oil filter assembly shown in the top lefthand box with the internals of one to the right of that box, i.e. with the spring and pressure plate internals which uses, I suspect, a shorter filter cartridge. I'll try removing the plate and spring to see if it'll all assemble properly with the cartridges I've got (although the base of the outer casing is conical and the base of the carrtridge is flat!)

Can anyone tell me the name/part number/car type, etc of the filter that goes with the plate and spring assembly? My 1098 has the opening in the crankcase for the mechanical fuel pump so i assume it has an "Austin" background. Would this have any bearing on the type of oil filter system?

Regards and thanks to all, MikeN.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mike - I've never seen an assembly with a plate on TOP of the filter - I suspect that is designed for use with an open cylindrical filter much as shown in that diagram. All the ones I have seen (including my TR7) use a paper element filter - it MUST have the plate below the filter - the dish shape should fit up inside the centre hole of the cartridge (although some lower plates are just flat) with the all important spring below. Sometimes there is a washer etc - but any slight leakage here is not really important from a filtration point of view - and is internal to the filter casing. The bolt goes up the centre of course - with a rubber seal cup against the base of the bowl and a steel shaped cup to support the seal and keep it in shape and firmly against the bowl. In the TR7 assembly - the bolt etc is actually trapped inside the casing with a clip to prevent that all important under plate going missing! Hope this helps.....
ImageImage
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

Here are the filters for the 10 MA engine (1098).

Several types, purolator or tecalemit, though the element is the same for either.

Ignore the look of the filters... as Roy says they should be paper cartridge type ie with card ends on the filter element.

Roys probably thrown away his top plate by mistake or perhaps he has the Purolator type :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

(Seriously though the top plate parts are held in the filter head with a circlip on the Tecalamit type).

Hope this helps!!

Taupe
Last edited by taupe on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hi Mike the part number you quote for the filter is the correct one for both 948cc engines and 1098's what you dont seem to have is the O ring that goes on the bolt before it goes through the assembly.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I don't have a LOOSE top plate - but there is of course a fixed plate that the filter cartridge seals against.
ImageImage
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I understand the filter assemblage much better now. Mine is a "Purloator" filter like the righthand diagram in Taupe's response.
It seems mine was assembled correctly (which is nice, perhaps essential, to have confirmed) and my trouble is merely the sealing around the bolthead at the bottom. Mine has a plain narrow flat washer and relatively hard fibre washer above rather than the proper steel "cup" washer and soft rubber intermediate seal. Now I know what I need! (And I'm glad I did it all BEFORE putting the engine/g'box in the car!)
Regards, MikeN.
xpress
Minor Addict

Post by xpress »

number 24, and 25 on rod's diagram. steel polo mint style cup and o-ring sitting inside it, but what filter type is this? also, there is no spring evident in this little boxout, but obviously a spring and a filter plate is still required here? thank you.
rcharman wrote:Hi Mike

Does this help you?

[frame][img]http://

mmoc.org.uk/mbimage.php?src=1302842587_7424[/img][/frame]

Rod from Australia

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

20 = plate and 23 = spring
ImageImage
dellerie
Minor Fan

Post by dellerie »

just change it to a spin on filter. why does everyone persist with these stupid paper things.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I do like the paper filter - partly because I have a good stock of spares, but I agree - the screw-on is pretty much fool proof, while if the metal plate is missing from the paper type - it's doing nothing and the engine is soon wrecked. Not good!
ImageImage