Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
joe winkfield
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

leaking rear wheel slave cylinder

Post by joe winkfield »

at the start of june I replaced the two rear slave cylinders because the seals had gone. however the ones I put on in june seals have gone again already. is their any reason for this. they were both brand new slave cylinders. could i be bleeding wrong or seting them up incorrectly. also i have marina discs on the front not sure if that effects it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: leaking rear wheel slave cylinder

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear - were they 'genuine' or 'replica' cylinders? In general the reports on the replica rears have been good (but not so on the fronts). Nothing you do should cause this (unless you used contaminated fluid - or have mixed normal and silicone fluid?) - I would contact the supplier and ask what they will do about it........
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

or have mixed normal and silicone fluid?
This is new, has it happened to you, or someone you know?

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mixed fluids cause the seals to swell/fail very rapidly. It's highly unlikely here - but I mention it just in case. A new cylinder - repro or genuine - failing in this short a time must surely have an outside factor at play.......
ImageImage
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Usually filthy brake fluid. It is always a good idea to bleed through the cruddy fluid before fitting the new cylinder so as not to pump it all through the cylinder when you fit it. Especially on the rear as bleeding will not allow the fluid to flow through with the bleed nipple being before the cylinder. Unfortunately with the master being in the floor it is very easy for dirt to get in when topping it up!