Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
David W.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dumb question (maybe not) about speedo cable

Post by David W. »

Twist the bottom of the speedo cable by hand, if you see a twitching of the speedometer needle then everything is OK at the speedometer end.
It's not too difficult to remove the whole cable and the gearbox attachment and work out the problems on a workbench.
I just went through trials and tribulations with my speedo, sender and cable. The Morris minor cable has threads that no one else in the world has. Fortunately, a replacement cable is fairly cheap at ESM. 6 to 8 GBP depending on year.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Not the cable...the part in the gearbox itself...surely that can be removed with the gearbox in the car? If not, I think I'll do without the speedometer. I'm not removing the gearbox a fourth time. :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

it could well be the end of the old inner drive,twisted off and stuck inside, can't see how its done it though,it will be about impossible to get hold of because you can't get anything onto it.Dont know what the size of the nut is(Someone will) but that is the way forwards take it off and you may then be able to get the obstruction out ,because thats what looks to be the problem,its not just grit thats been washed into the drive with engine cleaner,could be worth trying a small drill into it(Carefully) might just break it up enough to wash out,theres no direct entry to the gearbox so you can't cause anything to get it there,so long as you don't drill straight through of course,use a blunt drill bit and put a stopper on the shaft so you cant go too deep.or even put the drill into reverse so it just churns the obstruction up without actually cutting into anything else,worth a try at least before stripping down.
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

The pinion and guide come out easily. I used channel lock pliers to start it. After about a half turn it should back out by hand. Get a new fiber washer from the hardware store 1 inch ID.
There is also a seal in there that you might want to renew. When reassembling I smeared the threads and washer with permatex.
On these pictures, disregard the white collar over the threads, that is another project.[frame]Image[/frame]
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

the other picture didn't go.
here it is.[frame]Image[/frame]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Thanks David, those are quite helpful. I did in the end manage to free the drive from the gearbox, and from one of my spare gearboxes. I learnt a few interesting things.
First, Mog's pinion appeared to have nylon inside, creating the blockage (!), which I only discovered after chipping some away.
Second, the other pinion is not made of nylon, but rather of steel; section FFF.2 of the Workshop Manual appears to indicate that these are interchangeable, but can anyone confirm this?
Third, the 'steel one' is currently in Mog's gearbox, with the cable all the way done up (with the aid of vice-grips, gently applied); the cable nut just needed to have its threads reset, and it now does up and undoes by hand. I can't drive Mog for another month yet, so no way to know if it'll work or not til then.
Possibly I'm finished with this problem...possibly not... :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Jack up the rear wheels (securely) and run the engine in gear......
ImageImage
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I will when I can -- it's not just the lack of brakes keeping me from firing the thing...there's plenty left to do.

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

How do i stop the cable-gearbox drive connection from leaking oil
It's leaking from the cable end, not between the drive and the gearbox.
I heard mention an oil seal, where does it fit, inside the cable grommet?
Is that part no 8G212 or 9G214 as available by ESM?
thanks for your help although I notice this thread goes back about 6 years . . .
Anybody still here???

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

No such thing as a dumb question - all questions are legitimate.

The part you want is oil seal Pt No: NKC105A (MOSS) item no: 88 in the link below.
Whilst you have the gear housing out I would replace gasket Pt No: 88G208 (MOSS) item no: 86 in the link below.

The oil seal fits inside the outer end of the housing. See exploded parts list in the link below.

You may find that the pinion shaft (Pt No: 2A3420 (Moss) item no: 85 in the link below)) that goes through the oil seal is worn - if it is replace.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html

ESM Pt No: 88G212 & 9G214 are the same part and is the same part as MOSS Pt No: NKC105A.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearbo ... 14-p830880

So you pays your money and the choice is yours.

Phil

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

Thanks phil,
I will go for the ESM part (oil seal) and fit that.
Am I correct in that it should be fitted in the plastic housing on the gearbox side?
The pinion I believe is not worn as it functions as it should and the plastic pinion and bush have been sealed in place with a fair amount of gasket sealer, so no leakage there

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The seal goes on the speedo cable side of the pinion holder (see MOSS link).
Remove the retainer item No: 89 (see MOSS link) and then the seal which can then be replaced with a new seal.
You may find it easier to remove the pinion holder from the gearbox, remove the pinion/shaft and then prise out the retainer and then the seal, assemble in reverse order.

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

I ordered the oil seal, but I believe my retainer is missing. there seems to be nothing inside the pinion drive, no seal, no retainer
I took it apart some time ago to have the gearbox reconditioned, but I seem to remember there was just the plastic drive and nothing inside but the pinion.

If there is no retainer present, is there something i can replace it with, a small bush or something for instance?
In the meantime Just waiting for the seal to arrive . . .

ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

to conclude this post I have now found out how everything should fit together.
There was an oil seal present in the retainer although that was not obvious until I had the whole assembly on my workbench.
I then managed to prise that out and fit a new seal.
Everything is now leak free and functioning as it should.
Thanks for your help