Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Dumb question (maybe not) about speedo cable

Post by Fingolfin »

Here we go again!

I'm having trouble getting Mog's speedometer cable to seat properly onto the gearbox drive. It goes on there, but only a couple turns. With needlenose pliers, it only goes up this far:[frame]Image[/frame]Am I doing anything wrong? Is the cable wrong? Could the plastic nut be distorted? Or is it on there far enough?

Also, where does this clip (to the left on the cable) go?[frame]Image[/frame]
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Dumb question (maybe not) about speedo cable

Post by kennatt »

it dosen't look far enough on to me, but pull on the outer cable and if it dosent move in and out at the joint then it is held and should work.Its a very fine thread and easy to get it crossed it should be posible to screw it on by hand,no need for tools.Take it off and put a bit of grease on the threads that may help,DONT force it on what every you do,if you strip the threads you will be after a new cable,it should go all the way on with virtually no threads showing. If the threads at the start of the nut are damaged it may be possible to cut a small slice off to expose the undamaged threads further inside,its unlikely to be the gearbox side thats damaged.With out going to look I think the clip is held by a bellhousing bolt to stop the cable thrashing about.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The outer cable is not lined up square with the nut. Push the inner cable fully in, push the outer cable firmly against the drive and then tighten the nut ensuring that it is not cross threaded. You can grip it gently with a pair of Mole grips
[sig]3580[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

As Mike says really, release the other end if you need to get some slack but get it lined up nicely before you start.
Then finger pressure should be enough to get it together such that there is very little movement.
Just use a tool to tighten it that last 1/16th to get it snug.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As both above - it must go on much further. Clean the threads of both parts - and use fingers only.
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Don't use mole grips, that knurled part is not strong enough, you risk crushing it.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I did say grip it GENTLY with a pair of mole grips
[sig]3580[/sig]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I cleaned the knurled nut on the cable, and the thread on the gearbox, quite well (with carburetor cleaner and a clean rag). It didn't change anything, so I tried the knurled nut on a spare gearbox, and it screwed up the same meager distance. I should say I only used my fingers this time. I suppose that that means the knurled nut's thread is bad -- and that means a new speedo cable?

Another problem I'm having is that the inner cable won't penetrate very far into its square hole in the gearbox -- probably only half or 3/4 as far as it should go. It went all the way into the other gearbox, so I imagine this is a trouble with the gearbox.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just swap the drive over between gearboxes ! And if you are sure the threads are not 'crossed' then may as well gently use the mole grips.......
ImageImage
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I should make clear, I only have one cable, I just tried it on two separate gearboxes...or by "drive" do you mean the part the cable attaches to?

Bazzalucas
Minor Fan

Post by Bazzalucas »

Fingolfin- yes, the drive is the bit the cable screws onto; it is visible in the pic you sent-note the large hex-head to get a wrench on...no vise-grips needed!
[img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/bazzalucas/Morris.jpg[/img]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

when you push the inner cable into the drive it should go all the way in until the flange seats on the top of the gearbox drive,did it fit before or is this the first time you have tried it,its pointless trying to force it on if the inner drive is not fully seated all it will do,probably,is to cause the inner to bind up and not turn freely.Ah just reread,the other gearbox...... is this the midget system that you talk about elswhere, engine and box,could it be that the midget cable is different to the old minor one and not compatable with the gearbox drive.Could you swap the drives over maybe.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My 1098 cable fitted the 1275 Midget box and the cable also fitted the Series MM box.The original Series MM cable has nice brass fittings. Will try the Series MM and Minor cables in my spare boxes.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Okay then, I will make an effort to switch over the drives; but the cable doesn't do up on either one.

Kennatt, I don't recall if the cable fit before. :roll: I wish I did! Also, I think it's the Midget engine and box that's in Mog; I think the ones I have spare (one engine in 948, another 1098, and two 948 boxes) are from Morris Minors, or at least I was heartily assured by a friend that they were. Of course, that means your idea about the drives or cables being different could be perfectly valid.

Has anyone got any idea why BMC used a plastic nut? :roll: I wish they'd kept the brass...would've been much easier...

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Cost......
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The LHD and RHD Series MM/early S2 cables are different lengths, apart from that all the central speedo cables are interchangeable. Do not swap drive pinions with a Series 2 box as they are different gearing to the rest of the boxes
[sig]3580[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

not just some gunge inside the drive is it,stopping the inner from going all the way in.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Wrong speedo cable with different thread at a guess....?
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Nobody has mentioned the inner cable. Be sure it is seated in the speedometer. If not, it would hold off the lower connection by about the amount shown.
David
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I GENTLY stuck a cotterpin in my spare gearbox speedo drive -- it went nearly all the way in -- stuck it in Mog's speedo drive -- it went only halfway in and encountered a very tough something in there. It's not dirt, I think.
I have been attempting to withdraw the drive (not the cable, to be clear, the drive itself) from either gearbox, and have been having no success. They must be in VERY tightly, and I can't seem to match the size of the 'nut'. Does anyone know?

PSL, I think this is the right cable -- in any case it's what came with the car, and the speedometer worked rightly when I drove it three years ago. David, the cable seems to seat correctly in the speedo, just not in the gearbox...