Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Heater Valve

Post by fussyoldfart »

Well, after 18 months in the shop my '67 Minor Saloon is back home and everything seems pretty good except the heater is warming my feet and the outdoors temperature is already 30 degrees Celsius! The cable is connected to the valve and everything moves but still it's warm.

The expensive fix is to replace the valve, slightly less expensive is the older shut-off tap (at least I would know it is closed). What advice does anyone have on how to fix the problem at least cost?

Darrell McDonald
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Heater Valve

Post by mike.perry »

The 2nd solution, the tap is the same as the later Series MM with the adapter plate screwed on the bottom
[sig]3580[/sig]
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Would recommend the old type valve - simple to fit and operate and looks good too! :D[frame]Image[/frame]

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Had the opposite with my Mog, the heater valve only let a trickle through when open, took forever to work out why the pipes got hot but the car interior didn't!
If you wanted to get a bit adventurous, then a modern Ford Fiesta heater valve can easily be strung into the system, electrically switched, and has the advantage that when in the "no heat" position, water still flows out of the rear of the cylinder head and back to the radiator bottom pipe, ensuring that the rear of the head continues to get moving water cooling it, rather than a dead area. Not of significance on a standard engine, maybe, but worth thinking about if you do any engine mods. The ghastly alloy heater valve can be usefully employed as the input to this arrangement-hack the control valve bit off and you are left with a conveniently sized alloy stub pipe to fit a rubber heater pipe onto![frame]Image[/frame]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I seem to recall reading that if you completely turn off the tap the sediment build up in the heater matrix can block it so when you go to turn it back on in the winter it does not work..

like the ford heater control idea linearaudio
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

^^^^^The thing I found most attractive about the Ford valve is that they are available, new, off E-Bay for about £13 all-in :D