Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RTanguy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Cutting out!

Post by RTanguy »

Hi, not been on here in a while, uni is keeping me busy, but i could do with some advice! Basically my 4 door has been cutting out after starting up and I can't seem to figure out why! Its only happened 3 times (but only the most inconvenient as always!). She always starts first time, even in winter, and this hasnt changed, but after starting up she has been cutting out when pulling out of the drive/shutting the garage etc., the revs dont seem to change/drop off/speed up, she just stops! After checking everything and not finding a solution but really needing to get to work I found that keeping the revs high seems to prevent it happening and after I had done this to get her off the drive I managed a 40 mile drive no problem, no cutting out at lights etc, even that evening (after sitting outside all day in pretty freezing temperatures) she started and drove away fine. But, like magic, the next morning cutting out again!
Any advice would be appreciated as Ive checked the usual things and other than this there seems to be nothing wrong! Thanks!
Lucy :)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Cutting out!

Post by mike.perry »

Not enough choke?
Too much choke?
Tickover too slow?
Last edited by mike.perry on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

2nd vote for above....increase the choke idle speed...
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Having the choke out only seems to make it worse as it then cuts out instantly!
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Not dodgy\dirty points in the fuel pump?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't pull the choke out so far. It should be adjusted so it first lifts the idle speed - and then on further movement - it richens the mixture by pulling down the jet tube.
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Finally had time to try and sort this out and now she won't start at all :( . I haven't made any adjustments as of yet, has anyone got any ideas of where to start to get her running?
If there are any kind people in the Nottingham area who could be bribed with many cups of tea and possibly a bacon sandwich to perhaps give me a hand as I am not the most knowledable it would be very much appreciated! I don't really know where to start :-?

Thanks
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Check for spark at points, coil LT leads, plug HT leads.
Check points gap, spade connectors on coil tight.
HT leads secure in coil, plugs and distributor cap.
Carbon bush in distributor cap in good condition.
Check fuel supply
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Have you done ANYTHING to it? Is the battery flat - not able to turn the engine over fast enough? Assuming battery is ok - first check is always to pour some fresh fuel down the carb throat and crank it. If it starts and runs for a few seconds - then the problem is with fuel supply. If nothing happens - then the problem is sparks.
ImageImage
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Sounded familiar and looking at your posts you had a similar issue not so long ago. I have suspicions that your carb may need a good service. If you have already done this then apologies.

Follow all the advice given previously and feed back.

Once the car has started I'll try and hunt out my idiots guide to carb servicing. Parts are cheap if they are needed, but usually a good clean up is possibly all that is needed in this case.

Have you thought of going to your next local branch meet? Someone there may be able to pop over to you?
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Thanks for all your replies and help, once its finally stopped snowing I will go through everything on the checklist and hopefully get her started! Thanks Dean, that would be great, I think you might be right about it needing a clean up/service, everytime I have a problem and fiddle with it it gets better then slowly deteriorates again so hopefully that will get it sorted properly.
Ill let you know when shes running!Fingers crossed!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Provided the piston can rise and fall - it is unlikely to be a carb problem.
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

So, just checked the points, plugs etc. , havent got any fresh fuel right now so havent checked the fuel supply but cleaned the plugs a bit (they were a little sooty) and managed to get her started after that, but she sounds terrible and there seem to be LOTS of exhaust fumes coming from the manifold where it joins the engine :-? . Any ideas?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Check that the manifold nuts are tight, if yes check manifold gasket. If exhaust is leaking out then air could be getting in and weakening the mixture which would explain the poor running
[sig]3580[/sig]
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Now Ive tried tightening the manifold nuts and that didn't make any difference so Ive changed the gasket as there was definitely a leak from there. The old gasket didn't look too bad but at first I thought that had fixed the problem but unfortunately no :( .
She still cuts out after a few minutes of idling and it seems once she cuts out or the engine is stopped lots and lots of fumes are escaping from somewhere around the engine, not sure if its the gasket (but hopefully not because its new now!). So basically back to square one unfortunately :(, anyone with any ideas?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You need to tell us more about where the 'fumes' are coming from. How about a picture or two? When it starts - does it run smoothly - and then just suddenly cuts out?
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Are the 'fumes' fuel dropping on to the manifold?
Richard

RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

That's what Ive ben trying to figure out too! They seem to be coming from around the manifold, but not directly from where the gasket is. More from the back side that the front but there are still some coming from the front, Ill try and take a picture but it won't be until tomorrow. They also seem to only start when the car cuts out.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's certainly an idea Richard!!! So - just run your hand under the carb and feel if it is wet with petrol...
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! Theres nothing leaking from the carb, but Ive found the exhaust leak... turns out on closer inspection the mounting at the rear of the car has broken off so its pulling the exhaust away where it joins the manifold... probably should have noticed that sooner but its always the obvious things :oops: . It was difficult to see where such a big leak was coming from due to all the fumes!
Having temporarily fixed that (still need to fix the mounting but stopped the leak) to check if thats causing the problem it would appear that is totally unrelated!
However, checked the points, spark etc before and all was fine, but now there is either no spark or very little spark (tried with different plugs and its the same)... so am i right in thinking there must be an intermittent problem of some kind with the points? I have a spare set so going to swap them over and see.