Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cutting out!

Post by Dean »

Perhaps (make sure car is in neutral) taking the distributor cap off and pressing the starter button under the bonnet and look for a nice spark from the points. You may have a dodgy distributor cap and or leads. Check to see if the leads are properly fixed to the dizzy cap.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So... There was a good spark, then you 'checked the points and now there is no/weak spark.... The remedy is obvious... :roll:
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

If you're suggesting that my 'checking' the points is somehow the cause of the problem, the only reason I was checking them is because there was a problem in the first place!
Already checked the cap, leads etc. the other day and all seemed fine but going to give it all another thorough check hopefully tommorow (ran out of time today to do anything), thanks for the suggestion Dean, I will try that.
Lucy :)
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I have found it is so easy to just fit the leads and not pay attention to the fact the metal fittings inside lead and dizzy cap need to be a good fit.

Make sure the metal plunger in the middle of the dizzy cap springs in and out and makes a good connection on the top of the rotor arm.

There could be a case to just buy new points, condenser, dizzy cap, leads and plugs and replace one at a time. It's something I had to do once to cure a slight misfire and found it to be a dodgy plug. The plug sparked, but not strong enough.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

may be good to check petrol pump after it stops, just tap it with a screwdriver on the body and if it starts pumping rapidly it may be the pump points. Only take a minute. :D
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Thanks Dean, Ive got a spare set of points, condenser, plugs etc. so I think I will replace one at a time and see if anything changes!

I will try that wil the fuel pump too, I know the pump is only about 2 years old so I hadnt really suspected it al the problem so far but I guess new doesn't really mean won't break!!
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

After you install and gap the new points, turn the engine over until the points are closed, then run a clean piece of paper through them to ensure that they are clean. This will clean any oil or other residue that may be lurking on the point faces, hindering them from making good contact.
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You say above there was a spark, then you checked them - and then there was no /weak spark. So -something was done during the checking is my best guess. The very first thing to do when an engine stops, is to decide if the problem is fuel - or spark. Otherwise you can be chasing the problem for ever - and every interference with the original system has the possibility to introduce a new problem in to the mess !!! :cry:
ImageImage
John.n
Minor Friendly

Post by John.n »

could it be flooding then the fuel being vapourised by the heat? have you got a spare carb that you could try?
Regards,
John
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

I appreciate that you are far more knowledgeable than me, but the problem of cutting out arose far before I went anywhere near the points (and has continued in exactly the same manner after I've touched them!) so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to have caused it like that.

My point was that the spark has been weak/intermittent all along!

The fuel pump is ticking away happily and Ive tried giving it a whack with a screwdriver after the engine stops and theres no fast ticking so at present I'm assuming thats ok.

Thanks, I don't have a spare carb and if I'm honest I don't know a whole lot/feel too comfortable with taking mine apart if it can be avoided although Dean sent me a very helpful idiots guide to servicing it which will come in handy if I have to!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

why not search for a local classic car tuner ,yes they do exist :D ,it might cost 40 to 50 quid but you should get to the bottom of the problem
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh well -I thought the spark had been 'good' earlier. Don't get into the carb yet! I suggest new points/condenser and 'low volts wire' (the little flexi wire inside the dizzy) and see how that goes. Alternativley - how about a complete new dizzy from Accuspark or Simonbcc. Doesn't cost a lot and all will be new !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-AccuSpar ... 2a1c3ebc06
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Yay success! :D But still a bit of a mystery...
After replacing everything in the dizzy with new and replacing HT leads, plugs etc there was still no change, but a friend happened to have a spare fuel pump so thought might as well change that too although I had previously had the pump pumping fuel into a can at a reasonable rate... And like magic with a new fuel pump all is well!
Thanks for all your help trying to fix this! Im still a little confused how the pump was the problem as it was definitely pumping fuel fine but oh well, at least I have a working car again! :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good news - but do check out that pump now.
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

I'm planning on taking the old one apart, is there anything in particular to look for that could cause a problem? I know the points can go but anything else?
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

There is a clear parts diagram for the fuel pump ( Code AUA66 )on http://www.sucarb.co.uk.You can either order a complete repair kit or spares as required.( No connection..just a satisfied customer )
I would check out the filter and points specifically but inspect the pump to see what is required.They generally give good service, so a good clean up ,new points, filter and a few new washers will give you several more years motoring.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes that's it - clean the filter and the points. It will be fine.
ImageImage
RTanguy
Minor Friendly

Post by RTanguy »

Thanks, that diagram is really helpful! Ive got it in pieces now, the filter is completely clean as are the points, I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I admit I dont really have anything to compare it to. A bit puzzled now!
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Fantastic news.

At least you'll know if something similar happens again.

The only comparison you have, is that if it's re-fitted, see if the problem is resolved. There must be something not quite right with it. These things though are usually pretty reliable things.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

If it is completely dis-assembled, does the diaphram on the spindle look sound ?
If it is only partially dis-assembled, re fit it to the car as Dean suggests and see what happens.

Modern fuels degrade rubber and other parts much quicker than petrol formulas of old.If it is the " original" diaphram on the pump, it maybe that this is breaking down or is perishing more quickly.
Do the test on the car first, as a new diaphram costs a few pennies.
Was the ring terminal on the supply wire to the pump " sound " and clean when you disconnected the old pump and replaced it ?
Bob