Gearbox recommendation - I am confused!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
russellgard
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Gearbox recommendation - I am confused!

Post by russellgard »

Hi everyone - I have a Marina box in it now and it is noisy and 'orrible! It also spews oil out over my drive! I need better legs on the car as well and it looks like the clutch/gearbox swap on a Triumph box is just the thing. Anyone got one for sale so I can try..........? Thanks everyone. :)

russellgard
Minor Friendly

Post by russellgard »

Hi Charlie,

what is a PM and how do I get it? Duh I know!!

russellgard
Minor Friendly

Post by russellgard »

Update, and good news. Dolomite o/d gearbox went stright on to the marina bell housing using marima 1800 clutch plate. All shaft dimensions perfect. Bolted to engine fine. Marina prop fits fine. Had to drop rear of gearbox a bit (fabricate new crossmember) and cut a square out of the floor pannel and remake with fibreglass. Mog and marima speedo cables fitted but a bit short so will change soon for longer one. Other than that no real probs. Really chuffed. Ta for the help.we made a couple of boo boos on the way, but heh!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks for the update - always good to have that. So - the Marina prop-shaft is the correct length - and fits straight on the Minor final drive flange?
ImageImage
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

May I ask what Triumph gearbox that yours came from? My Dolly 1850 has the same length input shaft as the marina 1300/1800 (as well as the same size spigot input ).
russellgard
Minor Friendly

Post by russellgard »

Hi

we have now fitted a dolomite overdrive box and it worked a treat. Marina 1800 clutch plate fits the triumph input shaft and into the Marina 1300 bell housing. We still need a longer speedo cable. We had to cut and remodel the floor panel and cut/redo the cross member but that was the hardest bit. The gearbox input shaft was fine. The marina prop was just the right length and ends. :D I would maybe use one with a lower first gear ratio in hindsight but it really works great. Thanks for the advice.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Amazing - if it's such a straightforward job I wonder why it's not done more regularly!!
ImageImage
russellgard
Minor Friendly

Post by russellgard »

Hi

to answer the questions and sorry for posting the same stuff twice last time - I didn't trust my mobile phone first time.

The prop was going to the marina rear end and a marina box so it was a marina prop that fitted. The flange is the same size as the triumph output and there is enough movement in the prop to allow it to fit length wise.

The gearbox was from a dolly 1850, so it looks as if it is the same as yours.

Update is that we have an oil leak from somewhere - I think between the gearbox and bell housing so are going to check. I suspect our assembly was a little lacking in finesse! The box works great though.

Got a custom made speedo cable from a guy for £16 - amazing (call 0115 926 4325). The guy was ace, took the order over the phone (a 2m long cable was needed with ends as described) and it came in less than a week!

We had to lower the gearbox rear crossmember and did that by cutting loads a way, adding a piece of 1' box section under and shimming it 15mm down.

We re now looking at an anti roll bar kit.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you fit ARB - fit two - front and rear, otherwise - 'roll' on the understeer!
ImageImage