By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hughes
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

reconditioned 1098cc CYLINDER HEAD

Post by hughes »

I have a cracked valve seat :cry:
What should I do next.
Can anyone recommend where to buy a reconditioned 1098cc cylinder head or know where I can get mine sorted.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: reconditioned 1098cc CYLINDER HEAD

Post by bmcecosse »

Hardly worth sorting a 1098 head - although if the crack is not too deep you could machine it and fit an 'unleaded' insert (likely cost in excess of £100 for 4) . Meantime just fit another 202 head - or even a 998 Mini head which will have minimal performance loss - but is likely to be 'unleaded' if that bothers you. Of course - for a good performance improvement - fit a 940 head from a 1275 engine! Here you go.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-mini- ... 3a818d57ca which as a bonus appears to have the larger inlet valves....... or just go for this basic head http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-mini-1 ... 257e28a7b9 This next one is the correct head - it is NOT RARE and it is stupidly expensive........ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini- ... 2c6f54a2f1
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Re : Fitting Valves to Cylinder Heads.

I have had a little problem with Valves and the Round Oil Seals , namely when I dis-assembled my 1098 head it did not have any oil seals fitted , my head gasket set came with seals , one set of valves had the small single groove around the valve which only seems to locate small split cotters , the cotters I had were the longer type ( so I swapped with some long grooved valve stems ) , but could not figure where to put the oil seals in as still no space. The BMC manual is unclear what ( if any ) the correct valve stems should be , and mentions that certain bits are omitted in some kind of later upgrade of the cylinder head / valve assembly but uses language I cannot quite understand. Any help and will the lack of rubber oil seals give rise to significant oil usage in town motoring ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The little O ring seals are almost useless - but are fitted at the base of the cotter groove - just before you slide the cotters in. Note that cotters are matched not just to the valve stems - but also to the caps.......some have different angles to match the different cotters. You cannot just mix them up any old how !! Far far better are the top hat seals - which are fitted over the valve guides, which must have a little groove around the top edge for the seals to 'clip' in to. Only fit them on the inlet guides......
ImageImage
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

Ooh , fun. Could not see any little grooves near the valve guides , but then I was not looking , the valve caps seemed to fit smoothly to the bunch of cotters I had for the valves supplied , I'll see what happens , engine needs to come back out anyway ( to change the clutch at some time )
hughes
Minor Friendly

Post by hughes »

My Uncle David is a legend, he has removed my head had new valve seats fitted and is rebuilding it al as I type, great guy to have around.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

hughes wrote:My Uncle David is a legend, he has removed my head had new valve seats fitted and is rebuilding it al as I type, great guy to have around.
Maybe you'd be better out there with him rather that typing,----sounds like a guy you could learn from! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hope he got below the crack when fitting the new seat. Did he heat shrink it in??
ImageImage
hughes
Minor Friendly

Post by hughes »

Maybe you'd be better out there with him rather that typing,----sounds like a guy you could learn from! :D
I have been, learnt loads so far, lots more to learn though