Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Recon 1098cc engine

Post by rsawatson »

Hello all,

Your advice would be much appreciated. I'm after a replacement 1098cc engine as the one I currently have in my car is nearing the end of its natural life and seems to be worn out in pretty much every respect. It has lasted over 50000 miles with me (with a lot of motorway driving in that) and I can't find any evidence to suggest it's ever been replaced - so I suppose I can't really complain!

Anyway, I've had a chat with various people and have considered my options for getting hold of a new engine. As the car is my everyday vehicle, I do not want to 'cut any corners' by buying something already pretty worn. I would therefore like to get hold of a fully reconditioned replacement.

I understand that prices vary, however I have £1000 to spend if necessary. As said already, I would really like to ensure that I buy something 'top notch' so I am not afraid of paying that bit more if it ensures that I get the best quality rebuilt engine.

I'd be really grateful if you could PM me with feedback on where (or where not!) you suggest I head to buy an engine in line with what I'm after (I guess that that sort of discussion is not permitted on the messageboard).

Many thanks in anticipation.
Ryan Watson

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Recon 1098cc engine

Post by bmcecosse »

I would go with Bull Motif. Either a half engine or a complete recon engine with duplex timing gear fitted. http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop.php 50k in a Minor? You've done well - over what time period??
ImageImage
rsawatson
Minor Fan

Post by rsawatson »

Thanks.

I've owned the car since '07, so 5-6 years. It's had a fair run for its money so as I say I shouldn't complain!
Ryan Watson

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Any idea of the overall fuel consumption during that time?
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Why not have your engine rebuilt?
[sig]3580[/sig]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

If you are mechanically-minded (and I expect you are if you are covering that mileage and use the car daily), then it is much more satisfying to rebuild it yourself, as you know what has been done and you will likely put more care into the job. For a DIY job it shouldn't be more than £300 including machining and might even be less for a 1098.

Get the parts, phone the engineering shops, set aside a week in which to do it and at the end you'll have a good-as-new engine ready for another 50,000 miles.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

£300 probably a bit on the light side if that includes parts