Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jaguar68
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

HIF 44 Carburettor linkages

Post by jaguar68 »

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding the throttle linkages on the HIF 44 for a 1275cc A+ Ital.

The start lever cam is marked JZX 1603 and the carb has a throttle quadrant taken from the HIF 38 fitted to a 1000cc Mini.

Can anyone tell me if this is ok? At the moment I can't adjust the fast idle as the start lever cam doesn't touch the idle speed adjuster screw to back of the idle speed.

Thanks in advance

John
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: HIF 44 Carburettor linkages

Post by bmcecosse »

Touching the screw would INCREASE the fast idle speed...... So not touching should be good...... Pictures will help us diagnose...
ImageImage
jaguar68
Minor Fan

Post by jaguar68 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
jaguar68
Minor Fan

Post by jaguar68 »

The idle speed screw needs to be backed off but doesn't seem to make any difference to the idle speed. Could it be that the throttle cable is pulling the fast idle cam away from the screw? Would loosening the cable make any difference?

Regards

John[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Looks fine - when you pull the 'choke' does it not swivel round and lift the fast idle screw??
ImageImage
jaguar68
Minor Fan

Post by jaguar68 »

The choke seems to work fine, it's just that the tickover seems to be quite fast.
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Just to clarify. Which screw have you used to adjust the 'idle' ? Is it the lower one that is close to the choke quadrant mechanism or the 'correct' one which is vertical and level with dashpot cover (you can only see the top of the screw head from the top and not the rest of the screw)

If it's the later then, as you say, if the cable is too taught then the idle speed will not reduce.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Seems I can import pictures OK, but not sort out my signature photo!

The top red arrow points to the normal idle speed adjustment grub screw. The bottom arrow points to the choke fast idle adjustment, and the middle arrow points to a line on the choke cam that is used to set the fast idle speed.

First, set the 'normal' idle - I can't see the screw coming down and touching the lever extending horizontally to the right of the butterfly spindle. Is the throttle cable slack, or is it tight and holding the butterfly spindle away from the adjustment screw?

Next, once the engine has warmed up, pull the choke cable out slightly until the line on the choke cam (should be by the middle red arrow) is in line with the centre of the fast idle screw, then adjust the idle to be around 1200rpm.
Richard

jaguar68
Minor Fan

Post by jaguar68 »

Hi Richard, Daveyl,

I think the throttle cable is taught. I'll slacken it off and adjust it as you suggest. I had been using the vertical idle speed adjustment screw, but found that I that screwing it anticlockwise did not result in the idle speed reducing.

Thanks for the advice.

John
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think the choke cable is binding, a bit of brute force on the outer holder might sort it.
Try warming the engine up then disconnecting the choke cable and see what the effects the idle setting then.
You can set it up such that the choke knob sticks out a bit even when the choke is fully home without creating more than an aesthetic problem.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"