Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Tomorrow is gearbox change day...

Post by Arthurdaily »

So, tomorrow I'll swap gearboxes using the BMC manual - hope all goes well, especially since I am changing it the axle stands-underneath method. A horrible day on my back in store c :D Just one last question - the side plate on the gearbox, the inspection plate as it were, I have put a new seal on it and have started to tighten up but is there a specific torque setting for the nuts on the studs? Can't see any settings in the manual...?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Tomorrow is gearbox change day...

Post by les »

Tighten opposite nuts as you go, although on such a small cover not critical. I'm sure there is no torque figure, just tighten evenly without overtightening!

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

[quote="Arthurdaily"] changing it the axle stands-underneath method. A horrible day on my back in store c :D
Don't know if there is any difference between models but when I changed the box on my ser 11,I jacked front of car up stood it on stands took the inside floor cover off,undid the box etc, slid the box back off the engine stood inside the car, with the aid of a trolly jack. rolled box out ,put exchange onto the jack and rolled it back under,lined it up and again stood inside the car slid it back onto engine. I didn't fancy being laid on my back,too old for that now. Bit more work in taking cover off but not that much. One thing I did find was that the engine dropped back up against the bulkhead,as the gearbox was lowered,and on refitting was exactly in line with the gearbox just luck maybe, but went straight back together
Anyway that was a ser11 don't know if it can be done on other minors.
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

I might try that tomorrow - whole day used up today getting the old box out and tried to get new one in with no success... wasn't able to push it up and was quite nervous being under car / engine / gearbox ...! I'll take the floor out tomorrow!!!
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

Done, and everything not working 100%... two and a half years of silly questions and long hours has produced a final car!

Yippee!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" everything not working 100%. " - sounds about right for a Minor then!
ImageImage
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

lol - NOW working 100% :D