Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
traciebates
MMOC Member: No

Need a new gear box fitted on my new traveller

Post by traciebates »

:(
Very sad owner of Milly Mogs the lime green traveller. Bought her last week and the gear box has gone. Need to get new one fitted like NOW!! I live in Kent/London borders - can anyone suggest where to go other than East Sussex Minors (I have tried them) and give me an idea of what I will need to pay so I dont get ripped off. Thanks
SwindonMoggy

Post by SwindonMoggy »

Im sorry that you were ripped off! You could always buy a recon gearbox & get a friendly mechanic to fit it!
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

If you're desperate desperate, and can spare a 100 quid or so, then quite a lot of scrappys (at least around where I used to live) would do things like gearbox swaps. But there's generally a warranty of a whole "if it works then it works" kind of quality*. Or, you can get a local garage to do the same (get a scrap (no warranty) or recon (usually some form of warrant) gearbox) and just stick it in. It's not exactly a complex job and shouldn't be too hard to get them to do. :-)

* But obviously it may be knackered, or very worn, and the quality of the mechanical work done by guys in scrappies is possibly questionable :-)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Kate, are you saying the the actual scrap yard would do the job for you??? That's amazing! A bit unheard of round here....... most of the scrap dealers are animals! :lol: and I would not trust them to open a can of beans that was already opened!! :lol:

My mate wanted an engine taking out of a car and they held it in the air with a forklift and cut the engine out with a cutting torch (through the driveshafts, electrics, fuel lines, etc) and then it fell out from under the car about 4 foot onto it's sump! Nice!! :lol: .................... he still gave £70 for it as well.......
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

When you say it's 'gone' what do you mean? You can't engage any gears? Or is it knackered in first/reverse? What I'm getting at is whether it can be driven any distance.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

my local scrappy will also fit he is good,

gearbox has gone, do you mean gone out of the country to find another car to go into
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

If I was a little closer I'd come fit it for you Tracie

I don't mind helping anyone as I've got 2 weeks off work from next week :D
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i have found esm to very good to me.

if you are in sussex i have a gearbox you can have for nothing
traciebates

Post by traciebates »

gosh thanks for all your replies.

Now where do I start ESM can do it for around £500 - does that sound OK - its just I wasnt expecting to pay out week one of owning her so I don't have much dosh lying around.
I live in Sevenoaks but I drove her back albeit in third all the way from Ashford when it happened - so yes I can move her. When I say gone being non technical I mean that she wont let me put her in any gear other than third and reverse. You cant even force it into fourth and you can just about hold her in second if you use brute force (of which I dont have a lot). The guy gave me a spare gearbox (that should have told me something) but I rang him this morning and he says he cant vouch for its quality so advice I am being given is best option is to fork out for a reconditioned one rather than changing to another unknown gearbox
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

is the £500.00 fitted and including vat?

can you get a mechanic locally to you to fit a recon gearbox.
just a thought are you sure the clutch is ok?
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Yeah, back where I used to live there were a couple of scrappies whod do fitting. Not that I'd necessarily have *let* them, although they did fix the handbrake on my Golf. I think that cost me a tenner....
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Tracie as you are in Sevenoaks try giving Mike Whitby a call he is in Sidcup and has lots of second hand spares and will guarentee that the parts are fully working its also worth asking if he would do the job for you and how much.
mike.whitby1@btopenworld.com
020 8850 7983
I think you will find him very helpful, a couple of others on this board have dealt with him and found him OK.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

I had one reconned, supplied and fitted by Minorite in Leicestershire for around the £500 mark, so that sounds about right. :-/ Ain't cheap tho.
I don't mind helping anyone as I've got 2 weeks off work from next week
When can you start? :lol: ;)
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Anytime :D I'm free to anyone who feeds me :P :lol:

Especially as your only round the corner Gareth :P
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Anytime :D I'm free to anyone who feeds me :P :lol:
Now thats what I call an friendly offer

Buts what happened with the box Tracie
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MikeNash
Minor Addict

gearbox replacement

Post by MikeNash »

Had the same problem as Tracie - instant need to replace gearbox. Got the receipts here - bought relacement from John Evans at Hayling Island on the 30th of June this year for £231.50 and had it fitted by Allen Hill of the "Over the Hill motor Co." on the 1st of July for £133.85 (inc oil, clutch bush and bits). Total £365.35. Both these blokes advertise in the magazine. Done 4000 miles since and all is sweetness.
PS You will fit a magnet into the drainplug (like I'm sure you've done in the engine and backaxle plugs) to capture the crap and stop it doing any mischief, won't you? Regards, Mike Nash.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mike you were lucky that the clutch did not need doing or the price woud have been a bit more.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Back in June I had the same prob as Tracie. Got a 'box from John Evans of Hayling Island and had it fitted by Allen Hill of "Over the Hill Motor Company" at Ripley Surrey. (Both advert in the magazine.) All now sweetness. Costs were £231.50 for the 'box and £133.85 (with bits) for the fitting. Since done 4000 miles and all's well.

PS You will fit the drain plug with a magnet to capture the crap, won't you? (Just like you've done to the engine and backaxle.)
Regards, Mike N.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Deja vu?
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Sorry Ray! Didn't know about there being other pages so thought my pearls of wisdom had got lost! Wife (looking over shoulder) put me right!
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!