Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
samir
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Mini manifold and hs2?

Post by samir »

Hi I was driving my minor down the a38 when I heard a pop, turns out the area where the manifold joins the exhaust has sheared off. I have a mini manifold with a hs4 carb on it but I still need to build the hs4 up(/still learning how though). Can I use the mini manifold in conjunction with the hs2 which is in my engine bay??
Chipper
Minor Addict

Re: Mini manifold and hs2?

Post by Chipper »

What a strange thing to happen! :o

AFAIK, an HS2 carb has a smaller mounting flange size and bolt-hole spacing to the HS4, so you'll need to match the carb with the appropriate manifold.

However, both HS4 and HIF carbs share the same diagonal bolt spacing. :wink:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

That's disappointing news, I though all I will have to do is swap the manifolds. I need to put the needle in the hs4 iv got but cannot secure it, plus I don't think iv got the spring that goes on top of the needle.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Whereabouts did the manifold crack - on the bit that the clamp attaches to?

It may be possible to either get it welded, or maybe to use a strong, heat-proof adhesive, such as Chemical Metal, JB Weld, etc...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

Yes around where it clamps. Ye might have a look at it tomorrow to see if I can attempt a fix with what your recommending, by the look of it last time I looked I think it had already been welded at some point.
Would running the car like this damage the engine? Or is just the really loud noise you get the only consequence?
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

Yep not a nice feeling
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

No, running it like that shouldn't harm the engine, but you won't want to be running it like that for long, as:

a) it will be deafening
b) it will be embarassing
c) you may get pulled over by Old Bill for excess noise pollution.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And it may poison you with exhaust fumes. Just pick up another HS2 manifold - usually for pennies - or perhaps someone near you will lend you one till you get the HS4 up and running. The spring from the HS2 will be fine - and what's the problem with the needle??
ImageImage
samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

Hi, I don't really know any morris minor owners in the South Birmingham area. Also I bought a hs4 from ebay, I have an kn filter for it, all the gaskets needed, an AAA needle I purchased from minispares, but I don't have the spring that you need to have with the needle. Also when I fit it I don't know how to centre everything as I heard everything needs to be centred. Are you saying you can use the spring from the hs2 needle? Also I don't even know if the hs4 is functioning as it should, it was sold saying it does run but I would have to run it to confirm.
samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

I visit derby a lot so if there any members out in those neck of the woods I could get some tips from, my uncle has a garage opposite the morris minor owners (derby) but there more administration then parts. I do be around that area quite a lot
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just fit the needle - it's self centering -and use the spring from the HS2. As long as the piston rises and falls easily (with the little damper piston removed) it will be fine.
ImageImage
samir
Minor Friendly

Post by samir »

Ah right, sorry for my lack of knowledge, so I take the needle adjusting screw out? Put the spring into the needle hole, then slide the needle into the hole, then how much do I screw the needle adjusting screw by? And when first starting the carb on the car any tips?

Kind regards
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Let's see pictures of the needle - and the piston from the carb.
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Do HS2 carbs have the spring on the needle? I thought they just fitted directly into the piston. :-?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - on HS2. But I think HS4 is spring loaded - which is why I ask for a picture. I don't have an HS4 handy - certainly an H4 is not springy needle, but my HS6 carbs are springy needle.
ImageImage