Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stroprock
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pumps

Post by stroprock »

Any reason why one of these low pressure type pumps won't work on a 1967 2 door Morris 1000?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI- ... 1c389dbccf
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi, It states it should be ok for a Minor, but will need to get others to confirm.

Be aware it does state
(the pump should be mounted no higher up than 12inches from the level of base of the fuel tank)

I belive this means you could not replace the existing pump with this pump in the same location as its more that 12" above base of tank.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
blackmore

Post by blackmore »

beware, not only height but also battery sensitive, ie. Positive or negative earth.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I think it would be wise to replace the pump with like for like, if the ebay pump doesn't work correctly you can bet your bottom dollar it will fail at the worst possible place :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Avoid avoid.....they are not designed to suck fuel up. What's wrong with the standard deadly reliable SU pump - it WORKS !
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

^^^ Seconded ^^^.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Got one on my tr7 v8 and one on the elan, so it would certainly be up to the task, mine are mounted below the tank though which would rule out the std minor location.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Exactly - they may work well with flooded suction...... But there is NOTHING wrong with a good old SU pump!
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

These are generally designed to push fuel rather than pull it as an SU does. Ive used similar pumps on various classics and race cars but always mounted near the tank. Stick with an SU for a standard Minor unless you don't like the click click click :)
Glad to be back!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

These Facet-type pumps do click though, and very loudly! :o

I had one on my 2-litre Fiat twin-cam Minor, mounted near the fuel tank. It worked OK, but was rather noisy, which could be irritating at times. Reverted to the standard block-mounted mechanical pump in the end.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

True Chipper :)

Although standard practice is to use them with AV rubber mounts which dampens the noise down to a degree. Most 'quiet' pumps tend to run at high pressure for fuel injection and are mounted inside the tank such as Walbro pumps
Glad to be back!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I did have mine mounted on the rubber mounts, that came with it as a 'Facet fast road' kit. However, it was still very audible at times, even sitting in the car with the engine running in a traffic jam - and the engine wasn't the quietest.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The gentle ticking of the SU pump is reassuring - and you can just think of it as 1p each time it ticks.... Encouraging you to switch off when stopped in a jam...... :D I certainly can barely hear it when idling - and certainly not when running along!
ImageImage
hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

I fitted one of these (with a regulator just to make sure the pressure was fine).

I find the 'clacking' is only when there isn't any fuel going through. Once it's full it makes a very gentle clicking. You can only really feel it when you touch the pump itself. Unlike SU pumps it is constantly going though, it doesn't stop pumping when the float is full like an SU. But during normal weather when there is no fuel evaporation then it's not noticable, unlike the SU.

It also has the advantage of when it's trying to pump air you get the loud clacking so you know what's going on.

When I got mine it stated it could pull "30cm" vertically. I've mounted it on the engine bay floor and it does fine at pulling from the tank to the bay. I did consider mounting it at the rear by the tank, and I might at some point, but so far it's been fine.

They are supposed to be very reliable, (used in aricraft?) but if you want something that's well known go with the trusty old SU pumps. These are a good cheap alternative though.

I don't think the 'mounting' kits are worth any money at all - I actually didn't use the fancy rubber screws and just bolted it on with some cork to dampen it. You will find you may need those screw in brass hose attachment thingies.
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

My car came with the wrong SU pump installed, a HP pump. I installed one of these electrics and it leaked badly immediately. From there, I went to a mechanical pump (cheaper) which worked fine. I'm mow back around to the proper SU LP pump. Nothing wrong with the mechanical, but I prefer the electric.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Agreed, the electric SU pumps do seem to be pretty effective - my 1970 Traveller is still on the original, as far as I know, although I have converted it to electronic operation with the Burlen Fuel Systems kit, after having problems with the points eroding/oxidising and not working reliably if left for a while.

Since fitting the electronic conversion, I haven't had to whack it in years! :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh errrr :oops: :roll: :lol:
ImageImage
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Speaking of "that supplier," I've tried to order from them twice. A completer pump, and then an overhaul kit. In both instances, they were out of one part or another, and lead time would be measured in months. I cancelled orders, and went elsewhere. Is my experience typical?
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Are you referring to Burlen? I've only used them a couple of times, but haven't had any problems.

It was worse for me getting hold of a rebuild kit for a Weber carb from France - it took well over a month to arrive (I had to remind them), and when it did, I discovered I could have got the same kit cheaper on E-bay. :roll:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
GuidoDieringer
Minor Friendly

Post by GuidoDieringer »

take one of these fuel pumps:

http://www.hardi.de/

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Morris-Mini-Mino ... 518ce2270c

If you combine this with a "123 ignition" system,
you'll have no problems anymore.
Unfortunately the 123 ignition is quite expensive !!