Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
poppet
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

diff

Post by poppet »

Hi
I'm planning to fit a standard minor diff into the marina back axle on my modified traveller. Is this a straight swap or can anyone tell me if any modifications are required?

Thanks
Steve
[sig]3690[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: diff

Post by bmcecosse »

I very much doubt it will fit........or match up with the half shafts....
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The differentials are completely different in size and components. The half-shafts (fine spline on the Marina) are different (at both ends) and would not match up even if you managed to fit the Minor diff to the Marina casing. The prop-shaft flange bolt PCD is different so you would need a Minor rear prop flange. The hub bearing mounting/location is of different arrangement on the Marina so you cannot use the Minor half-shafts.
Why do you want or need to fit the Minor diff to a Marina axle? The Marina diff is a much more robust diff than the Minor!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Maybe a 'sourcing' problem. I wonder if the Marina final drive was shared with any other Leyland cars of the era - Triumph Dolomite perhaps? Doesn't help much anyway - not a single Marina or Dolly axle on ebay at the moment. Plenty of Minor axles - I really do suggest that's the way to go......
ImageImage
poppet
Minor Fan

Post by poppet »

Many thanks for responses. What I'm looking for is a lower ratio diff for the marina axle to assist with towing caravan.
[sig]3690[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Early MGB used the same pattern of diff (but used a 3.9 ratio) as the Marina/Ital. The Triumph Dolomite 1300cc axle/diff (4.1 ratio) is the same design as the Marina (4.1 ratio) but the axle casing is 2" narrower. The Marina van used a 4.55 diff but they are hard to come by. I tried to find one for the Marina axle which was to be fitted to my modified Minor but had no luck and sold on the rear axle. Try http://www.earlpart.co.uk they deal in Marina/Ital parts and may have what you want.

poppet
Minor Fan

Post by poppet »

Thanks for the info. Will start the search
[sig]3690[/sig]
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Do you know what the Diff ratio is at the moment? The Marina/Dolomite (but not sprint) axles came with a choice of 4.1, 3.9 and 3.6 to 1. And the ital 2.0 auto had a 3.3/1 ratio.
Also, and I cannot absolutely guarantee, but the later Spitfire and Vitesse uses a very similar Diff unit (it has a slightly different 'nose' casting to accommodate a bracket). I've seen one pictured on a Marina axle.
I'll know for sure (if I can ever be bothered to go outside), as I intend to fit a Spitfire 3.9 unit in place of the current 4.1.
poppet
Minor Fan

Post by poppet »

Hi, current diff is 3.9 and I'm after somthing with lower ratio.
[sig]3690[/sig]
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Just out of interest. This axle on ebay is likely to have a Diff of 4.1/1 ratio. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131092322785? ... 1423.l2649 . It's the same axle as used on the Dolomite (part of the same family).