Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

clutch lining

Post by Rust bucket »

Would this be wise or not, i've got two good clutch covers and a new release bearing, I also have a couple of used clutch plates one of which is an AP with 0.042in or 1.05mm left on the lining, don't know what the thickness would be new.

I will only be doing around two to three thousand miles a year so would it be worth fitting or not?, any one know who sells just AP plates.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: clutch lining

Post by bmcecosse »

Is there any problem with your clutch?? When it fails - just fit the best plate you have - and the thrust bearing if it's new.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I try to make a judgement on the price of a new replacement part against the hassle involved in doing the job twice if the used part fails. IE; It's easy to try a used set of plugs, if they don't work just fit a new set (10 minutes and stress free) fit a used plate and it fails, have it all to bits again ( more than 10 minutes and plenty of stress) do you feel lucky? :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Or - buy a 'new' plate made in a tin hut in India - lined with camel dung - and have it fall apart after 500 miles....... A GOOD original plate, even if slightly 'used' is a far safer bet in my mind........
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

What made you think I was recommending a new plate made in a tin hut in India? Thought you looked upon me as an over the top sort of guy! -----re chisel V socket! :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm not suggesting that you recommend an 'indian' plate at all les! But it's a sad fact now that many 'new' parts supplied these days are not always the 'best' quality....... Hence if it was me - I would use a 'good old' plate if not badly worn.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well I can agree on that Roy but assumed the op would use a degree of discretion if choosing new. However, maybe easier said than done in this day.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Trubble is -folks order a part with a 'well known' name - but what arrives is definitely not of the expected quality - and has a life measured in hours rather than years.......... :roll:
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Lets hope we've all got a 'good used plate' standing by then ! :D

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

The car was a wreck when I bought it and in bits so I don't know what the clutch was like, If I knew how thick the linings are on a new AP plate and if there still for sale new, thanks all.