Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LanceNZ
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Vauxhall Chevette front hubs

Post by LanceNZ »

Hi All,
Im fitting Marina discs and calipers to my Minor and have the normal hassles of trying to change the PCD from 3 3/4" (Marina) to 4" (Minor). I have searched on here and there are various suggestions - re-drill, replace with new ESM hubs etc. Knowing that old english cars had a habit of parts sharing, I have discovered that Vauxhall Viva and I assume Chevette have the same 4" pcd with girling disc brakes. Does anyone know if the Viva / Chevette front hubs will fit a Minor?
On the same topic, do MG Midget / Sprite hubs (non-wire wheel) also fit?
I did consider buying some new hubs from ESM but with freight to NZ, the cost was over $NZ350.00. And with the vast quantity of old English cars still in NZ, I'm sure I can find something locally.
Any other suggestions welcome.
Cheers
Lance

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: Vauxhall Chevette front hubs

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

vauxhall was not part of the BMC group so i do not think the parts will be a straight (marina for chevette) hub swap.The biggest problem is that marina disc bolt straight on to the hub.. so you could be solving the pcd problem only to create another..

I am not sure how far you have gone down the marina route but I seem to recall some people have fitted the ford fiesta brakes by making a bracket that looks similar to the one used when fitting midget brakes, the problem with this conversion being that they do not fit under standard steel wheels i seem to recall.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You would need to get hold of a Chev hub and disc and investigate if there was a bearing combination that would let you fit the hubs. It's not anything I have ever heard of - but someone needs to be first! Let us know how you get on..... Do you really NEED discs?? I thought 'major' changes like this were verbotten in Aus and NZ.... Can you not just fit larger drum brakes.....?
I managed to get Fiesta calipers under the 10" rims on my Mini......so they certainly aren't over large!
ImageImage
ajay
Minor Friendly

Post by ajay »

Changes are not forbidden in NZ but any alteration like brakes will have to be certified. Find an authorised certifier (ask any hot rod enthusiast how to find one) and talk to him before you do anything. And take plenty of photos to show him. Any welding will need to be done by a ticketed welder or checked by one.

Allan
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Spridget hubs go sraight on to the minor stub axle.

But Marina discs won't bolt up to the spridget hub and the spridget discs are so small they offer no real advantage over the 8" drums
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

as I did previously i mixed up a fiesta conversion and a polo conversion.. :oops:

this might help
http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t= ... e&start=15
LanceNZ
Minor Friendly

Post by LanceNZ »

I've just had a look at some Viva hubs and you were absolutely right Charlie - definately a no-go! I'll look further into the midget option and see if modifications can be made to the Marina discs to make them fit the Midget hubs. Otherwise, has anyone have photos of re-drilled Minor hubs? I'll talk to a certifier and see what is allowed from a legal viewpoint. And BTW, while NZ and Aussie may be similar, we still have some common sense in NZ and hence less rules and regulations!

millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

Lance

Follow this link http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/index ... f=6&t=6827

With thanks to fastmarinamag.com

This should help

Posted from sunny Hawkes Bay, back to UK on Friday :(
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Lance
Do you mean Marina hubs? You mention re-drilled Minor hubs above!
If you cannot find photos of the re-drilled Marina hubs on the link above let me know as I have Marina hubs/disc brakes fitted to my Minor which have had the Minor wheel studs re-positioned to give a 4" pcd and I will post some photos.
The hubs are not just re-drilled; they have an insert fitted which blanks off the Marina stud hole and are then re-drilled at 4" pcd.
These ex Grumpy's hubs are fitted to my competition Minor and have never been a problem over many years of hard use.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Lance, my hubs are marina, holes plugged and redrilled since 1989, havn't come adrift yet :)
LanceNZ
Minor Friendly

Post by LanceNZ »

Hi Philthehill,
I cant access the Marina site without signing up - are you able to post some photos?
How did you plug the exisiting? just filled with weld? or did you trhead the holes and insert threaded plugs?
Some photos would be really useful.
Thanks
Lance

LanceNZ
Minor Friendly

Post by LanceNZ »

Hi Millerman
Hope you enjoyed your time in NZ - the Hawkes Bay weather is amazing!
I cant access the photos withoout signing up to the Fastmarina site - If i cant get photos form elsewhere, i'll give it a go.
cheers
Lance

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Lance
The hubs were modified when I purchased them from Grumpy's.
Note: All measurements are approximate as the hub is currently assembled.
The marina hub stud holes are drilled to 13mm and a 'T' shaped insert pressed into the hole. The large flange of the insert is 25mm dia and 3mm thick. The insert depth is the same as the thickness of the hub. The hole for the Minor stud is then drilled at the 4" PCD and the stud pressed into and through both the insert and the Marina hub. The head of the insert and head of the Minor wheel stud prevent the Minor stud being pulled through. No welding is required just a drill and turning facilities i.e. lathe and the means to determine the 4" PCD.
I have attached a schematic for your information and photos in follow.[frame]Image[/frame]

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

[frame]Image[/frame]

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

[frame]Image[/frame]

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

[frame]Image[/frame]

LanceNZ
Minor Friendly

Post by LanceNZ »

Hi Phil
Thanks for all the info - BRILLIANT! Just what I needed.
Cheers
Lance

Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

I have just been to a certifier, in Chch NZ, yesterday. One of the many tests was the thread engagement of the wheel nuts. With the combination of mag wheels/nuts and std studs, I was right on the minimums for thread engagement in the nuts.
To use the modified Marina hub and insert you may need to use a longer stud to be compliant. The easy answer for me will be to fit rear studs, about 6mm longer, to the front hubs.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Roni
The overall length of the studs fitted to my modified Marina hubs are 40mm. The length of stud for the wheel nut to engage upon is 23mm. What is the requirement in NZ for thread engagement between wheel stud and wheel nut? The studs fitted to my modified Marina hubs exceed the requirements of the UK Motor Sport Association (MSA) which if I remember correctly the minimum length required to be compliant is times 1 & 5/8 O.D. of the stud. The through the wheel, wheel nuts hold the alloy wheel to the hub and which is a 7J x 13 fitted with very sticky slicks; I have had no troubles either with the MSA scrutiniser or had mechanical problems with this conversion.
Phil

Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

The set up I have on my truck, at the moment, gives me 7 full turns of thread engagement in the wheel nut.The certifier noted this as the minimum. The mag wheels I have require a 6mm spacer to clear the kingpin. On the rear, with no spacer, there is 12 full turns of engagement in the nut. The front brakes are 9" drums.
The rear studs are 6mm longer, to allow for the thickness of the half-shaft flange. Fitting rear studs to the front hubs, for my set up, should compensate for the spacer thickness and give more thread engagement.
The answer for what the thread engagement is, changes with the thread pitch, so I cant give answers there.